1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced HOD Starting in a new school

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by bigbrother, May 31, 2011.

1. Wondering if anyone had any tips for me, I've been a HOD (state) for quite a while and I'm now moving to a new (indie) school as a HOD.

My plan so far is to go and get my own teaching sorted first, watch the department and learn how they do things and get to know the staff.

I don't want to go in and change everything right away, the department appears to have been well cared for. I would like to stamp my own style on it eventually, and I haven't seen the SOW yet so fingers crossed they are teachable. I have a full set of my own SOW but feel I should give theirs a go first - what are other people's thoughts on this situation?

2. I'm not sure why you would impose your own SOWs. Has anybody said there is a problem with the existing SOWs? As it's an indie and you're coming from a state school surely the approach will be completely different anyway? I would tread softly if I were you. Perhaps aim to eventually create a third way? In any case, indies don't necessarily use shares SOWs.

3. last line should read "shared" rather than shares obviously