1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced enough for Head of 6th / Assistant Head?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by AlexiT, Jan 20, 2017.

?

Should I go side-ways before I try to go up?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. Other advice

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. AlexiT

AlexiT New commenter

Good afternoon,

I'm looking to move up to SLT level at some point in the next two years; want the extra challenge, have a young family so some extra cash would be good, current role I'm good at, but don't want to end up resenting/

I've made a couple of applications and had one interview, I'm wondering whether I have enough experience / quality to actually make it, as I currently stand, or whether I need to make more of a side-ways move to complete my CV.

About me;

• 34 - been teaching 11 years.
    • Currently an LP doing KS5, QA and coaching work and Head of Psychology.
    • Have also been a Head of Psychology and Sociology, Deputy Head of house at a difficult school, Head of Sociology.
    • I've worked at an Outstanding, academic MAT lead school the last 5 years, before that 4 years at a quite difficult, but fun and friendly place.
    • I'm looking at Surrey, maybe Sussex and at a push South London.

I haven't done Deputy Head of 6th form, or Head of Year.

I think my ideal job would be Head of Teaching & learning, but perhaps Head of 6th is more realistic.

My current headteacher thinks highly of me, and that I can make the jump, but I'm not sure if he's just being nice.

Cheers,

AJT

2. AlexiT

AlexiT New commenter

BUMP

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Possibly.

I wouldn't say it is a total no-no.

Have a look at a person spec when a job comes available..

4. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

As they say. if you don't shoot you don't score. No harm in applying for jobs and seeing what they say. Plus it might give your school a kick up the a*** and may get them panicking into promoting you to an SLT role in school.

5. Missteach2010

Missteach2010 New commenter

Apply for SLT. Have a frank conversation with your current school and tell them about your plans. If they can't offer a promotion - tell them you want to lead on a whole school project which will definitely secure a SLT position elsewhere.

Mysti likes this.