1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experience versus correct interview answer!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by TheCrew, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Hi

I just had a very informal interview up against a colleague. I had to write an application letter for an in house job then was only give 10 minutes notice of a meeting which turned out to be an interview with the Head and Deputy. the outcome was I didn't get the job even though I have 10 years experience in the area and the other candidate has NO relevant experience, but used correct set of expected phrases in the answer to ONE question - which were completely irrelevant to the two children the post is for! What do you think??

2. There are so many different interpretations of this and only those who interviewed you know exactly why you didn't get the job. The reasons given for why you didn't get the job certainly sound like 'HR speak' and are probably not the full reason.
    It could be that she got the job because she is a) the better candidate b) Cheaper than you c) unfairly favoured by the Head.
    You were not given the job because a) You are somehow out of favour b) Were considered 'stuck' in your ways after 10 years in the job c) Unfairly treated by the Head.
    You are probably best placed to judge the reason that you didn't get the job. Are you in a redundancy position, seeking additional hours or promotion?
    I would be feeling very upset in your position. Consider carefully the reasons. Could this candidate simply be better suited to the job? How do you know what answers they gave to interview questions?
    If you are absolutely sure that this person isn't the better candidate, then the reason must be personal. That is more uncomfortable to reflect upon. Schools can be very cliquey places, have you challenged senior colleagues in the past? are you flexible? are you well regarded? is your Head a decent and fair person?
    I hope you come to some resolution on this. Keep your head held high, don't engage in any discussion with colleagues and keep an eye out for the next opportunity.

3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

LaureRichis says You are probably best placed to judge the reason that you didn't get the job one

I have to say I disagree - you are by definition bias and have a very sided perspective on all of this. You are also understandably angry or upset . . . . does that indicate you'll be in a good position to judge?
    You may well have been overlooked for one of the reasons mentioned. Equally whilst you clearly think you are the best candidate - your H & DH might just think the other person is better

Sorry and good luck

4. Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. What I was trying to say was that the OP has a better chance of understanding why they didn't get the job than anonymous posters on a forum who have no prior knowledge of the OPs school and circumastances.

5. I don't really understand how you would know what the other candidate said. Were you interviewed together? Also do you know exactly what they were looking for? She may have ticked the boxes and you didn't. Have you asked for proper feedback because you are entitled to at least that? I think that often with these internal jobs they know who they want and that the interview is just a process. I wouldn't get too upset about it. If you were in the same position I am sure you would choose the candidate who you felt could do the job better, fit in better etc irrelevant of any experience. Chin up!