1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experience of supply teaching - newly qualified

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by rach_27, Oct 14, 2015.

1. rach_27

rach_27 New commenter

Hi everyone, I was hoping for a bit of advice...

Due to illness during my final PGDE placement, I was unable to complete it but have just qualified after doing a retrieval placement.

I can now consider supply teaching in Glasgow but am a bit nervous.... I'm worried about not knowing what I'll be walking into each day and not having time to plan. As a new teacher who is still learning, I am worried about not knowing the content for that day. I know that this is something that develops over time and with confidence but I was wondering if there are other new or experienced teachers out there who can share their experience of supply teaching in Glasgow? How have you found it?

2. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

The likelihood is the head teacher will be only too glad to have managed to get a supply teacher to cover the class and will welcome you with open arms.

Most supply cover is only for one or two days and the class teacher may even have left a plan of work for you to follow.

If you find there is little obvious content guidance for that day, as can happen if the absence is unexpected, look upon it as an opportunity to pursue some educational activities that you have planned in advance. So, make sure you have some interesting 'fillers' prepared.

The children will probably be delighted to have a change from their usual routine and they are not going to suffer educationally just because some box on a tracking sheet has not been ticked.

If little planning has been left, and it turns out you are going to be required for more than a couple of days, that is when you need to seek advice from the HT to ensure you are meeting school expectations.

The chances are you will thoroughly enjoy the experience of teaching widely differing classes. Even if you meet 'the class from hell', don't let it put you off; you're not there forever and it's all a learning experience.

Hopefully, you will grow in confidence and, before long, a permanent, or long term temporary, position will open up, if that is what you want.

Good luck.

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

We are struggling to secure any supply cover in my Glasgow at present and would welcome you with open arms. This is your perfect opportunity to get out there, experience different schools and get your name known for all the right reasons. Day one in any new school might be a bit unsettled for you but you should know what you will be teaching the following day and on that basis, you can go away and think about the content in more detail.

4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I did supply for a number of years not in Glasgow but Aberdeen. Never assume that there will be work left. Always have a days work for every stage. Things that you feel confident in doing. It'll give you a chance to get to know the class. Also learn the children's names as quickly as possible. If you need to make a quick sketch of the class and write names on. Helps with behaviour management. Ask HT or SLT about behaviour policy and if there is any child in the class who needs any special attention, for whatever reason - ASN, behaviour etc
    On a practical level. Make sure you have appropriate clothing for going outside in all weathers. I have turned up at schools and been told I going out on a trip/walk/fieldtrip with no warning.
    Never turn down a school because it might have a 'bad' reputation its often not deserved or it maybe that there are one or two more challenging classes.
    I taught in an enourmous number of the city's schools and only found 2 I wouldn't go back to - one in a leafy suburb had the unfriendliest staffroom ever and the other had a really dire HT.

Like sir2006 says you will be welcome with open arms - good luck

cakelover22 likes this.