1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experience of schools run by private international education providers?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by IBTrippin, May 17, 2019.

1. IBTrippin

IBTrippin New commenter

Does anyone have any advice to share on what it would potentially be like to work for one of these schools on the new initiative? I know there is one private company involved in this project that has a terrible reputation, but there are others who run good private international schools as their main business. Would their schools be like working for any other government school and what are the potential benefits and pitfalls of doing so? Thanks in advance!

2. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

If you like using your salary to buy pens because you are given one a term then great!

But to be honest some are great schools as they have great Principals. Some tier one not for profit schools are run by those best suited to be used cars salesman rather than educators, however, pay, salary, facilities and "do whatever you want" can be attractive but difficult at the same time.

Heaven is a first tier school run by a dynamic and excellent Principal. Hell is a third tier run for profit by a vindictive psycho of a Principal who thinks management success is by how many staff he can mentally break. Most schools are in the middle of that.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm assuming you are talking about profit show in general but it would appear that the OP is talking about something more specific as they say 'new initiative'.

I'm confused

4. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Take care. Where possible, it is best to place not for profit schools ahead of those that have vested financial interests that can be placed ahead of education of students or the welfare of teachers.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  5. IBTrippin

IBTrippin New commenter

Apologies, my original post has indeed come up a bit vague following moderation. I am referring to government schools in the UAE that are being run by the private international sector as part of the public private partner ship or new schools initiative. Feedback on state primary schools or nurseries in Abu Dhabi would also be useful.

6. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

There's always a business plan for every school. As teachers we have to accept this part of our sector. However, how schools execute in meeting their bottom lines can differ from school to school. This is where, as professionals who empathise with the innocent children caught in the middle of all of this, either jump ship or stay away from them all together. On the flip side, schools who manage things well and value all stakeholders that contribute to the bottom line become a trusted and reputable brand.. These schools are rewarded by dedicated and long-term staff and supportive parents.