1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experience of Interviewing with Ministry of Education, UAE - Computer Science Graduate

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sv591, Dec 16, 2017.

1. sv591

sv591 New commenter

I recently interviewed for a teaching Computer Science with MoE. The role was advertised for graduates and no teaching experience is required.

The application process was really simple(but slightly tedious). The job was advertised by an agency which got back to me fairly quickly after I expressed an interest. They asked me to fill an application form and requested some of my documents, which I sent on 3rd November. They got back to me in 2 weeks time and told me that I have been shortlisted for an interview. After 2 more weeks, they sent me the interview invite.

Interview
    I was scheduled for 6th December in Manchester and travel reimbursement was not provided. It consisted of a written test and 15mins face to face interview (along with 90 mins of waiting). I didn’t find the test to be very difficult and the interview was also fairly simple.

I was told the outcome will be revealed in 10-14 days and if offered I will be given 3 days to make a decision. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the result.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

girlsthatcode likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The MoE schools in the UAE are not exactly wonderful and that is why lots of Emiratis want to get their little darelings into "international" schools. Unfortunately, the MoE is not prepared to leave "international" schools alone and if they have lots of Emirati students then the MoE sees this as a valid reason for interfering and telling the "international" schools what to do.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Well anybody who takes this offer from MoE deserves everything they get.

Why does the MoE have to find victims willing to work as a teacher with NO TEACHING EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS.

4. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Very interesting post sv591. Particularly that they don't require teaching qualifications. Can you tell us what sort of questions were asked in the written test? Where they subject specific or about teaching? The UAE is normally very particular about qualifications and they have recently introduced a licenced teacher programme where the school that you work for puts you through the UAE version of teacher training. Was this mentioned at all? I have know several teachers who work for ADEC schools in Abu Dhabi and are very happy. The MoE schools are Dubai and northern emirates (unless they have now combined with ADEC) and I haven't heard much about them.

5. sv591

sv591 New commenter

Hi Hippo, Don't know much but year have been hearing lots of bad things about MoE schools. I am yet to make my decision and I don't know yet if they are offering the job.

My agency mentioned that they have a teacher training program for Graduates upon arrival in the UAE. Unfortunately, they couldn't give any more details and that made me suspicious, to be honest.

There were 6 questions in total - 3 related to Web Technologies, 1 Database Technology, 1 Programming question and Last one asked to write a lesson plan.
    Yes, they did mention about the teacher training program but the agency couldn't give me more details which I am not very happy about.

Thank you all for your comments

6. sv591

sv591 New commenter

My observation is that they are offering a lower salary (16000 AED pm) to graduates who have no teaching qualification and qualified teachers gets a higher salary (21000 AED pm)

7. sivalingam

sivalingam New commenter

Hi sv591,

My interview was on the 10th Dec. Have you been offered a position. Which recruiter you have been with?

Thanks.

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I haven't heard a single good thing about teaching in the UAE state school system. Not one. Think very, very carefully about this.

9. sv591

sv591 New commenter

Hi Sivalingam,
    my interview was on 9th December - don't remember the name. How was your interview. Feel free to PM me. I don't have access to send PM, weird I know!

HI Tony,
    I am afraid that is the case. I am yet to find anything good about this.

10. honestandy

honestandy New commenter

I received an email last week from MOE portal to say that I was on their database. Does anybody know what this means?
    Will they contact me further or shall I just forget about it all?
    How does the process work?

11. sv591

sv591 New commenter

There is no reason to be not hopeful. As I mentioned in my OP that it took me 2 weeks to receive email like yours and after 2 more weeks I got an interview invite.
    Good luck

12. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

I heard about this teacher training last year- will see if I can find the link

13. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

14. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

The UAE MoE have their jobs advertised with just about every agency in the English speaking world. Anyone who doesn’t dribble will be offered a job as it really is the pits of employment; poor salaries, lousy accommodation, contracts that are easy to abuse and students who may be the most arrogant, lazy, entitled, waste of good air students going, after the Kuwaitis and Saudi students, of course. Don’t flatter yourself that you were ‘offered’ an interview - if you can breathe, you’re shortlisted. Have you not worked out yet why they aren’t too bothered about qualifications or why the interview was easy?

shondellequarshie likes this.
  15. Aljan123

Aljan123 New commenter

Hello,

Can you tell me what happened at the interview? What sorts of questions did they ask you? I have my interview coming up soon as well.

karisis21 likes this.
  16. sakinaaps

sakinaaps New commenter

17. sakinaaps

sakinaaps New commenter

Hi ...I have my interview coming soon. Can you tell me what questions were asked exactly?
    You got any msg from them after that?

karisis21 likes this.
  18. mully91

mully91 New commenter

Hey SV591,

If you're still around these forums can you give an update on your experience so far as I am looking into going the same route?

Thanks

19. sv591

sv591 New commenter

20. neddaattal

neddaattal New commenter

Hi I have the computer Science teacher interview on Saturday, Can you help with the written exam. What should I expect? Is it multiple choice ? is it difficult? Help!! I really need this job.