1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experience of being deaf

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Up until fairly recently I could expect to have an extended period of deafness every winter following any cold I got. If it was particularly protracted it wasn't unusual to become pretty miserable as a result - and twice it was bad enough to border on depression. People tend to get fed up repeating themselves and you get fed up asking for people to repeat themselves so you end up feeling (and being) excluded. It's also very, very difficult to teach when you can't hear.
    I've long thought that losing my hearing permanently would be worse than losing my sight - people tend to be kind and/or helpful to the visually impaired but have a tendency to treat the deaf as though they're stupid.
    It took a long time to persuade my GP that hearing aids would be useful for intermittent hearing loss like mine but it was such a relief when I got them (I mostly only used one).
    Oddly, I haven't needed either hearing aid since my heart attack which, coincidentally, happened just as I was leaving a hearing aid clinic appointment at the hospital. So it turned out that my deafness was literally life saving....had I been in work instead of at the hospital I'd most likely not be around to write this post! [​IMG]

2. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Makes perfect sense. My sister is partially hearing (10% in total) and feels the vibrations of the car to know when to change gear. I went to see Evelyn Glennie in concert once (percussionist who is deaf) and she performs in bare feet to be able to feel the music rhythms - amazing talent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GseFtRRVbz0

3. I was watching a programme on Evelyn Glennie recently where she talks about how she hears through feeling, utterly fascinating and has made me adapt some of my music teaching already. The first part is a little slow but the way she talks about sound really makes you think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_l7kRDv9c8

4. Cross threads!

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

What a coincidence to read this when my daughter got her first hearing aids today.
    We only found out a few months ago that her hearing is impaired. I think her lack of concentration in school must have been at least partly due to this. Wish we'd found out sooner.
    She has been complaining about me crunching sweets, rustling papers, breathing loudly etc etc, all afternoon. [​IMG]

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I hadn't realised how deaf I'd become until I used my hearing aid - the most bizarre thing was hearing the water in the drain when I was walking through the carpark at work. I couldn't work out, at first, what it was.
    I have some permanent hearing loss as a result of the repeated infections etc but not enough to need hearing aids - so long as I can see a person's face or have subtitles on (god bless Red Bee).

7. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Same here. I do have a hearing aid but find it uncomfortable.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

9. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I am profoundly deaf and wear 2 inner aids . I can't hear anything without them. I find background noise( music on the TV and in shops ) almost unbearable. I rely on subtitles all the time and being able to see faces and lip read is essential -if I can't and people don't make the effort to speak up / articulate I just lose concentration and don't bother trying to follow the flow of the conversaion .I really appreciate what my aids can do for me though - the alternative is unthinkable.

10. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Not quite in the same league but as a teenager, I had to have my ears 'syringed'. Afterwards, as I left the doctors, I literally jumped and turned around in terror when a loud swoosh filled my newly de-waxed right ear. It was the sound of my hair brushing against my coat as I turned my head....

11. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

My Oh wears hearing aids, the one bonus i have found is that he takes them out at night so if i snore ( which of course i probably don't :p) he can't hear me and complain [​IMG]

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

That is what can be know as sound deafness, far to much background noise/inane babble for people to focus on what it is they are meant to hear.

Teaching is hard enough at the best of times, doing it with (permanent or temp) hearing loss makes it harder and more draining than people will give it credit for!

Maybe when I'm old I can have a hearing dog in a classroom with me! Now that would bring kudos from the kids!

13. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

Still not hearing - a bit more than I could but it's difficult. Antibiotics finish tomorrow - what next? Have to teach next week (2.5 days) although the class are pussycats but it will still be hard.
    Had a sicknote but still went in this week as I feel better except for the hearing.

14. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

I am constantly amazed by the numbers who are hearing impaired - it is estimated that 10% of children have at least a mild loss. But very little testing seems to go on; and so children are at a disadvantage or are often labelled as having ADD, as the majority of the symptoms are the same. The extra amount of processing the brain has to do, including lip reading, is immense, and does lead to serious lapses in concentration, and "switching off" for a few minutes at a time in lessons.
    I am glad that you have got her the hearing aids - they do help a huge amount; but in noisy places they can seem more of a hindrance :(
    Good luck to her.
    Goat