1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experience before GTP/SDP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by harrydp, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Hello,

I'm looking to apply for the SD (Salaried) scheme this year and am under the impression that a list of schools will be published in October who you are then able to apply to for a place but am seeking clarification on this myself.

It seems for this scheme, 3 years of career experience is needed as well as, an unspecified amount of relevant, classroom experience. I'm currently a trainee accountant who is trying to become a primary school teacher in answer to your last question.

2. Interesting, thanks. I`m also looking at primary and will have to keep an eye out for this list. I`ve been working over 3 years, first in the city, then teaching small English classes in Japan. For now I`ll assume experience means as a teaching assistant. Still seems odd though. Even some teaching assistant jobs require qualifications and...Experience!?

Let us know all know if you get any more information about the salaried scheme!

3. Thanks.

I`ve been looking into the Schools Direct Program. At first i thought it was a replacement for the GTP but the places I`ve seen that are introducing the SDP list a fee of around £9,000. The GTP paid you, right? Am I missing something here?

4. Sorry. I think I`ve figured out the answer to my own question! The SDP is divided between a salaried and non-salaried SDP.

Still can`t find a list of participating schools though...

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You won't at the moment as schools have been asked to sign up by September 21st to register interest Lead schools then have to bid for places and the allocations are confirmed in October. If you look on the DFE webshite under recruiting trainees details of a central application system will be published there.The big question mark is over how many schools will come forward and where they will be based-generally they will be the teaching schools-I see from your TES details you are in Japan, when do you plan to return?

6. Actually, I just got back a few weeks ago. In the S.E/London area at the moment but would relocate. Thanks again for the reply. That explains why I couldn`t find the list!