1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expensive EYFS!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nicholaj69, Sep 10, 2011.

1. I am completetly new to eyfs coming from a year 3/4 mixed class. The head this year has asked to me to change the foundation stage class as it was very structured and not enough child iniatiated play! Woohoo i completely agree with her that it needed a big change. My only problem is money! I spent a lot of time in the summer preparing and changing the classroom and the head was great and got me stroage containers and some new furniture. However im fininding i spend money on a daily weekly basis for my new class. for example this half term we are doing teddies therefore we are making porridge this week, looking at suitable materials for bears and i wanted sieves in the sand and sponges in the watertray. All of these things we dont have in school (yes even the sieves and funnels- the sandpit previously didnt change all year!) therefore i had to buy!
    When i was in ks2 there were many occassions when we had to buy resources but it didnt seem as regular. I teach in a small primary school (only four classes) and therefore money is hard to come by. I feel bad always putting in receipts but of course i cannot afford this all the time. Personally im trying to save for a wedding!!!! I have spoke to the head about this and she said i cannot go mad and have to try and make use of school resources and what we have! Which unfortunatelty isnt very much- despite me trying to be inventive!
    I was just wondering what other people do to cover the onstant cost of EYFS! I dont want to sound like im being tight and i dont mind buying special things here and there but i dont believe i should pay out all the time to cover my themes/areas.
    Sorry for the moan! Nichola

2. I am completetly new to eyfs coming from a year 3/4 mixed class. The head this year has asked to me to change the foundation stage class as it was very structured and not enough child iniatiated play! Woohoo i completely agree with her that it needed a big change. My only problem is money! I spent a lot of time in the summer preparing and changing the classroom and the head was great and got me stroage containers and some new furniture. However im fininding i spend money on a daily weekly basis for my new class. for example this half term we are doing teddies therefore we are making porridge this week, looking at suitable materials for bears and i wanted sieves in the sand and sponges in the watertray. All of these things we dont have in school (yes even the sieves and funnels- the sandpit previously didnt change all year!) therefore i had to buy!
    When i was in ks2 there were many occassions when we had to buy resources but it didnt seem as regular. I teach in a small primary school (only four classes) and therefore money is hard to come by. I feel bad always putting in receipts but of course i cannot afford this all the time. Personally im trying to save for a wedding!!!! I have spoke to the head about this and she said i cannot go mad and have to try and make use of school resources and what we have! Which unfortunatelty isnt very much- despite me trying to be inventive!
    I was just wondering what other people do to cover the onstant cost of EYFS! I dont want to sound like im being tight and i dont mind buying special things here and there but i dont believe i should pay out all the time to cover my themes/areas.
    Sorry for the moan! Nichola

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Could you send a letter out to parents at the end of the previous term saying 'next term we will be studying X'. Any donations of XYZ would be gratefully recieved. That depends on the type of area your school is in though. Also - shop around and don't buy from catalogues. Wilkinsons is my favourite place (I teach KS2 SEN rather than EYFS but have similar problems). You should have a budget for the year that you are in charge of though?

4. We send out a letter each half term asking for a £2 donation for consumables and baking ingredients which most parents seem happy to pay. We have just had a letter asking for donations for outdoor play and parents donated very generously.
    Car boot and toy sales are great for picking up small world and construction stuff cheaply. Do you have a freecyle in your area?

5. Hi Nichola
    I'me exactly the same. I've just put some receipts in totalling just over £100. I bought some small furniture from Ikea, cushions and a lot of storage boxes. I haven't even given the receipts in for everything as I bought a doctors kit/outfit and a puppet off ebay.
    I've also been making playdough, bought pasta and am currently bidding on cups/saucers on ebay too for my home corner.
    I did ask for donations of unwanted toys towards the end of last year and we did get some great dressing up stuff, a garage, farm animals etc but often you don't get exactly what you want. So yes I too am buying things.
    I do try and find the cheapest stuff I can and am always in Poundland and Wilko's
    Louise

6. I havent heard of freecycle. Maybe i live in a bubble! The school is in an affluent area and i dont think the parents would mind making a contribution however i did mention this to the head last year and she said it seemed unfair when we dont make other year groups pay! I understand her point but i dont think other years groups need resources to the same extent.

7. Im glad there are other people in the same position Louise but still doesnt seem right! Think i will do the same with the unwanted toys esp dressing up clothes! they are very expensive. My mum and dad even helped me out during the summer and started buying things for my class as they knew i wouldnt always give in receipts!
    I do try and go to cheap places too- think im the poundland queen! I also like Tesco home- spent near 30 pound in there today!
    Unfortunately for years they early years in are school have been given money for years but bad planning and management meant that they have so many toys which are all nearly the same! You wouldnt believe how many toys like duplo and sticklebricks that we have! However they are missing things like toy animals and a variety of sand and water utensils. Our head was new last year and is appalled at how much money over the last so many years has been spent in the department but she needs to see that they are still missing resources for everyday use!

8. The EYFS is very expensive I agree, I spend lots on little bits. But if you get to talk to parents and just happen to mention....what you are you really want, also never so no thanks to anything you are offered, ever if you throw away once they have safely left! Try freegle rather than freecycle, google it for your local area, I have had some amazing things.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Can you do any fundraising? Cake sales- jumble sales, sponsored obstacle course for children ( we raised more than £3,000 by getting the children to get sponsorship for completeing a course we set up in the nursery playground- and this was a good many years ago !). Capitation for EY children is higher than for older children, I think, so you should be getting a healthy allowance every year.Good luck. DON'T spend your own money.

10. I managed to get lots of toy cars, blocks, home corner stuff from car boot sales...always worth a look

11. In my school, Reception is the only year group that gets a budget from the school budget. (Nursery is funded differently).
    I always put aside an amount each year for consummables, ingredients for cooking, playdough, cornflour, shaving foam etc.
    Annually we do a sponsored event of some sort, usually quite a good money-spinner, which we tend to spend on outdoor equipment because it's usually bigger and more expensive.
    Scrounging off parents, local companies, anyone who passes(!!!) can bear good fruit sometimes. This morning I approached two young men in Sainbury's car park. I'd seen them parking their van on which it said they did tree stump removal. They did think it was a bit odd when I asked what they did with the stumps after - perhaps they thought I wanted to check that they disposed of them humanely!! But now I have their card and will be phoning them to get some free tree stumps for outdoors!!!
    My last nugget is the series of books "The Little Book of . . .", all of which are very good at giving you ideas for activities that can be resourced cheaply or freely. I recently got "The Little Book of Investigations off Amazon to show my Reception colleague that we did not have to spend vast sums of money to resource this aspect of out curriculum. They are not hugely expensive themselves either!!

12. We have our own EY newsletter where we ask for donations quite regulary depending on our topic (things like old material, toys, xmas decorations, pans, old rolls of wallpaper etc) and the parents are great, they pick up things they see when out and about and think of us when clearing out! We also ask for a £1 weekly donation if parents feel they can to buy things like baking ingredients and enhancements. Every so often we have a party to finish off a topic, e.g. a pirate day where we ask for a £1 donation towards party food/prizes, the spare is used to buy resources. Reading it back it seems like we ask a lot but honestly our parents are great and they arent expected to donate at all. Last year we had a grandma knit us beautiful sets of dolls clothes when we asked for any donations they were fabulous [​IMG].

13. Thank you all for your advise- seems like a lot of school ask for small donations termly! I will go back to the head and see what she says!
    fingers crossed x

14. If you would be interested in raising funds this year please feel free to contact me at contact@golfdayuk. I am a primary school teacher, year 1, and I started this with a collegue during my spare time. We have noticed first hand how budgets are being stretched and used our passion for education and golf to start our initiative. Our most recent event raised over £1300 for the school.
    All the best
    Graham

15. What about organising the Yellow Moon catalogue, that can raise money for you, you could have an agreement with the head- you run through out the school and you can keep the money!