1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expenses

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shiny_sparkly_star, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I also had an interview on Friday, where it was obvious from the start that it was a 'done deal' and it was really hard to relax.
    The feedback I got in the 'no' phonecall was excellent and I should have been jumping up and down with such good feedback, but not when it was a no!!
    I have never claimed expenses, didn't think it was possible, so I can't comment on that, sorry! ...but I do feel your frustration with the whole interview process.

2. I asked this question a few weeks ago since each interview I attend costs me £100 in fuel (I'm looking to relocate back home)

The answer is that you are not entitled to anything by law but there is no harm in asking. I've been to 6 interviews in the last 2 months, 1 has paid up, 1 just ignored my call, 1 I'm told is in for processing, 1 I'm told the form is in the post, and 2 I still have to chase up (interview was Monday and Friday of this week).

My advice is call with the assumption that you expect it to be paid, "Hi, I forgot to request my expenses form on the day, could you post me one please?". Be polite, it isn't the woman on receptions fault you were screwed over. Be warned though, I'm quite sure they don't pay expenses for loss of earnings, only fuel and possibly accommodation in certain circumstances.

Regarding, how honest is acceptable, well lets no go burning any bridges now, if you go all out on the honesty and upset and offend anyone you could potentially get a bad reputation as being a crazy person, especially if you start throwing accusations around. I had a similar experience on Friday, they gave me some really bad reasons for what was wrong with my lesson, I just bit my lip and left, I was so angry I actually had to get out before everyone could see my tears of frustration. I felt really hard done by, they brought me (and my 1 year old baby girl - not that they knew that) 250 miles and had no intention of even considering me. I didn't ask for my form then as I rushed out the door so quickly - I will phone on Monday.

I hope you feel better about it soon. If they ignore you like one school did to me, don't turn into a crazy stalker caller but feel free to resent that school forever and swear never to send your children to that school or apply there again. They obviously aren't good enough for you!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some excellent advice there from ICatherine.
    To sum up:
    • No, there is no entitlement to expenses, and nowadays many schools do not give them at all.
    • But you can try asking for actual expenditure - not loss of earnings
    • Keep the receipts for your travel
    • Do not book overnight accommodation without agreeing it with the school beforehand unless you are prepared to pay for it yourself
    • Always be polite, even if they didn't treat you well
    • Cross your fingers
    I didn't know that either! How cute! How lucky to have a baby daughter!
    Best wishes

4. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you all!
    To be honest I'm just so angry about the whole thing! It's like the cost of a new outfit etc just for them to 'see the field' but really to appoint who they had anyway! This seems to be the case for so many of us! Having to deal with two places of work who weren't happy I needed the time off (school and my second job) to do all that work for nothing!

I'll have a think but I like the idea of just asking for it and seeing how it goes!

Thank you and I've now decided I'm over it and not dewelling on it- the bottle of wine last night helped!!!

Hugs to all who've been in the same situation x

5. Out of all 12 interviews I've had in my career, I claimed interview expenses for all - and received them. There's usually a standard form they hand out. I find it really surprising when people post on here who are out of pocket due to interview expenses. I know there's an argument that in the current economic climate, schools are less likely to pay expenses; but if you don't ask then you don't get I suppose. My current school interviewed for a position last week and flew a candidate down from Scotland. She didn't get it, but the school was paying to see whether she would be a good appointment - a relatively small cost to ensure the best appointment.

6. Try checking the school's policy on interview expenses before attending. If there's no policy on the website/application pack ask the school secretary.
    I'm a big believer that if employers are going to pay people's expenses they are seriously considering their applications, otherwise it would be a huge waste of limited funds. (I've always received expenses and would be reluctant to interview anywhere that didn't. If I'm giving up a day's pay and jumping through hoops I would expect a future employer to provide me with tea/coffee and my petrol costs.)

7. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thanks all!

I phoned the school for feedback and ask about expenses but i'm still waiting for my call! Somehow don't think its going to happen!

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I never even realised you could claim for expenses! It's definitely something to think about. Right now, I'm just going for jobs near to where I currently am, so probably not worth trying to claim anyway.