1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expenses entailed by teachers - how much should the school pay?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by ChalkyFace, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I am giving up four of my six weeks this summer to take a group of twelve students away for a month. This was 'sold' to me as a new member of staff as a completely free trip in exchange for losing most of my summer holiday. I was more than happy with that arrangement.
    It has since transpired that the necessary injections (costing over £400 and possibly as much as £500 pounds) will not be paid for nor will the majority of the kit e.g. 100 litre rucksack.

Before anyone says otherwise, YES, of course I realise I am lucky to be going on such a trip but it has already involved giving up two weekends for training purposes and there's another before we leave as well as many an evening an dlunchtime planning and attending fundraising events etc etc.

In short, does anyone think it would be unreasonable to push for the school to pay at least some of these expenses or is that just greedy?

2. I am giving up four of my six weeks this summer to take a group of twelve students away for a month. This was 'sold' to me as a new member of staff as a completely free trip in exchange for losing most of my summer holiday. I was more than happy with that arrangement.
    It has since transpired that the necessary injections (costing over £400 and possibly as much as £500 pounds) will not be paid for nor will the majority of the kit e.g. 100 litre rucksack.

Before anyone says otherwise, YES, of course I realise I am lucky to be going on such a trip but it has already involved giving up two weekends for training purposes and there's another before we leave as well as many an evening an dlunchtime planning and attending fundraising events etc etc.

In short, does anyone think it would be unreasonable to push for the school to pay at least some of these expenses or is that just greedy?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not unreasonable at all. In fact the cost of you being there should be divided among the kids on the trip. The injections at least should be paid for. Could you hire the kit? The school will pay and claim back the VAT as well. You authority should have an outdoor ed dept who may have kit that can be borrowed or rented for little cost.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

School trips are not free holidays especially residential trips. You will be on duty 24/7. It will be you out of bed at stupid O' clock to deal with a sick child and then up again with the dawn to supervise breakfast. It will be you checking the dorms at midnight to make sure the girls are safe and the boys are in their own beds. The idea that you have to pay £500 for the pleasure of being absolutly so knackered that you will need a week to recover when you get back is not acceptible. It is either a free trip or tell them you can't go. You are giving up several weeks of your holidays for heavens sake.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Tell the school you don't have £500 going spare (most of us don't) and see what they say. Some schools will never volunteer to pay for anything if they think that staff will fail to claim.

6. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

The jabs should be paid for, not too sure about the kit. If you've been asked to go and need a 100 litre rucksack, I'm guessing you're going to be living rough for periods in excess of 2 weeks. I would expect you to have experience of this sort of activity to be put in the frame to be asked and therefore have a lot of the kit.
    I would be very surprised if you're percieved as "prissy" then asked to live and trek for such long periods of time. I don't think you'll get very far arguing for the kit to be paid, if you do argue it, you may upset people who have influence.

Ian

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are all the kids on the trip providing ther own kit? I doubt it. So whoever is supplying them with kit can surely supply the staff on the trip!

If you have some kit then fine but having to buy stuff that you don't have and only need because of this trip is not on in my opinion. You can't be the only adult on the trip, what are they doing?