1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expecting poor KS2 English results>?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eddiecarron, Jan 20, 2012.

1. We are repeating our last year’s offer of a free research project package which boosts all predicted English L3’s to L4 – at least! There are no costs and no registration whatsoever. We are a well established, not-for-profit research group dedicated to boosting Key Stage 2 literacy results. Email me at eddiecarron at btconnect.com for further details.

2. Just to clear up a few points raised by a number of enquirers.
    There are NO costs whatsoever. We have two current research projects; one involving non-reading Y2 pupils 20 schools which started at the beginning of this term and a larger one involving vulnerable Year 5 and 6 children. We have a number of suplus resource packages from the latter project which we are giving away free to anyone who wants them on a first come, first served basis. They come with no obligation whatsoever. The outcomes from the pilot of this project indicate that virtuallly every child predicted to achieve L3 English in fact achieved L4. I ham happy to email anyone the data from this pilot study.

3. To clear up another important point -:
    The idea that those with poor literacy skills can acquire higher level literacy skills by more frequent phonics exercises is like saying all you need to develop higher level maths skills is to recite times tables every day. If it is works - then fine but it doesnt! Recent work by the psychologist Philip Kellamn in California on 'perceptual learning' viz harnessing the brain's formidable abilties in pattern recognition suggest that phoneme/grapheme correspondences can be learned intutively during reading and without the need for mind-numbing rote exercises which should have no place in an educational curriculum. His works suggests that such approaches are more likely to be counterproductive. Most adults learned these correspondences quite easily without the need for phonics exercises and the children who in Year 5 still cannot read and write confidently should not be left to the tender mercies of those who suggest that they might 'catch up' later. The time for Year 6 children is running out fast. I hope those of you who have taken up my offer will confirm this after the forthcoming KS2 tests!