1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected salary for HOD in Stockholm

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by morti2010, Mar 19, 2010.

1. I've been scouring the forums and have found lots of useful info about teaching in Sweden; the lifestyle and the pay you can expect and it seems something like 25000 SEK/month is a reasonable salary for a teacher. Does anyone have any experience of what one could expect as a HOD? It's for maths in an international middle school in Stockholm. Obviously pay is an important factor (but definitiely not the biggest) and I'd been interested to hear what people think one could negotiate at interview if succesful.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Is that before or after tax?
    After tax it is barely acceptable but before tax that salary is a joke.

3. My figure was before tax based on what I've read in these and other forums:
    'The average salary in Sweden for a classroom teacher is around 22,000-28,000 kronor per month before tax ' from https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/350024/5008879.aspx#5008879
    'Most newly qualified teachers in Sweden seem to get offers in the range 20,000-25,000 SEK/month...It's not unusual to find teachers with 20-30 years of experience still making around this amount' from https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/336471/4790504.aspx#4790504
    And i can't find it now but I'm sure I remember someone commenting that they had had an interview and it went well till they found out the money - about 25,000SEK before tax. That was for a teaching job without responsibilities I think very possibly in the same school.
    So would you say this is low for teaching jobs in Stockholm? What would you expect for a teacher and what would you expect for HOD?

4. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

That would be a pretty good salary - in many places HTs don't earn that much - you would get around 30,200sek after tax depeding on which local authority you live in - it would make you a high income earner

If it is a free school you may however be required to learn Swedish

5. I've been meaning to say thanks to Karvol and Tigger1962 for taking the time to reply - you were very helpful.