1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected salary at an International School in South East Asia?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jessjaw, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I am still on the hunt for a job and had some extremely helpful advice from this forum already.
    I'm now in a situation where I have a few possibilities remaining, but I have no idea what to expect as a salary. I'll be in my 5th year teaching in September and would like to know what a reasonable salary should look like in Thailand (Bangkok), Vietnam and Malaysia. Also, cost of living. Any advice would be great as I need to make some decisions soon!
    Thanks,
    JJ

2. You didn't say that 1000GDP was a minimum. You said that 2000GDP was. Which I disagree with. If OP can find something for that amount, great. I am saying that not all schools will pay that amount as Skinner rightly pointed out.

I have worked for less than a grand when I was teaching in Canada (though accommodation was included). So, if I had no other opportunities, yes, I would work for £1000 in BKK, HCMC or KL. Especially if it has expenses included and if the school is a nice place to work at.

3. I work in Vietnam and earn over US$2500/month after tax. On top of that I get gym, flights, medical insurance, accomodation. I save more than half my salary despite travelling at every opportunity and eating out as much as I like. Life is good here!

4. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

I currently work in KL and my salary is good enugh to support a travelling addiction and a family. If you also factor in the enforced savings through epf you're doing alright here. Granted things are becoming a little more expensive but its still well doable. I take home about 12k RM a month (2400 sterling approx) although without responsibility 10 or 2100 sterling.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

CanLah quotes are about average for experienced teacher; more can be got from more established and higher fee schools, but russian jet fighter schools will offer much less. The newer schools, of which there are many, vary. Usually the higher fees they have for parents, the more they pay staff.
    Anyhow, as stated before, you can still life a happy life here for 5000 a month (if you have no commitments in the UK). With a family, depending on number of kids and if tuition is included or not, 8-10,000 is the minimum you'd need; much more if tuition is not included.
    Also check medical cover; yes, it is cheap here to see a doctor, but any decent school with give medical cover. If they don't, don't bother. (Dentists in the expat areas, like bansar, are more expensive than in the UK, as I found out recently!)
    Anyone know how much you'd get for lecturing in KL?

6. Do you know any current russian jet fighters? I would love some advice.

7. At the language centers about rm40 - rm50 per hour (about 8 - 10 GBP)
    Universities F/T about RM 4000 per month (about 900 GBP)
    Private tutoring we charge RM 80 per person per hour (About 17.50 GBP) we try to take them in small groups 3 or 4 that makes it worthwhile, however they are the most unreliable people you can imagine they will telephone you 5 minutes before to cancel, usually with a fever!

8. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Not sure about uni lecturing although again be careful re visa needs but can get by I think claiming "travel expenses" if someone is interested. With regard to tutoring not sure where you are but can get considerably more than 80 for exam subjects in KL. Students/ parents happy to pay 100 - 150 for IG or A level and again that can be small groups. Most of the exam work is relatively straightforward as just exam prep. Had a colleague who was offered considerably more for a particular shortage subject by desperate parents (desperate to get help!)

9. Yes sorry of course you can get more for exam tutoring, I was referring to the everyday stuff, you know English to kids which although doesn't pay as much but is all year round.

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Thanks for the feedback, but the figures you quote must surely be for local staff lecturing, not expats. With the increase in number of universities here, I'm expecting some of them to be hiring expat staff. 4000 a month isn't legal for an expat here!
    So anyone know of an expat in a uni here (not the UK ones, which I understand pay UK salaries) and they what to share their salary info... Just curious as I was asked recently I had no idea. I expect that they'd be on a similar scale to UK teachers here as teacher / lecturer salaries in the UK are not too disimilar.
    As to the private tutoring - bloody con merchants most of them. I keep telling my parents to avoid them; if they are needed it's usually because the school isn't doing a good enough job.

11. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Having worked and lived in malaysia and Thailand before I agree 2000 pounds is a good rule of thumb!!

Principle skinner hasn't a clue.

With 5 years experience in kl 12-14,000 rm and knock off 2k if outside kl.

In Bangkok 120,140,000 baht (subject dependent). Less than 100k indicates cowboys trying it on. The sort of school that wouldn't provost last months salary etc tc for some excuse.

Bangkok is cheaper to live in than kl. Rural Malaysia is about same as rural Thailand. I lived in isaan and Bangkok and Kl and a malay kampung.

It is hard to say how muchyou need to live off as it's so personal. A single man who doesn't visit girlie bars in Thailand and lives an ok lifestyle can easily spend 60,000 thb with hols. About 7,000 rm in Malaysia. Heavy drinkers add more in kl as booze expensive. Some can live on less. Some need more! Also you need to factor in pension savings etc. So 2k sterling is a good rule of thumb!

Vietnam I don't know. Indonesia I worked there briefly and I don't like the bland food so I'm biased! Cambodia is cheap like rural Thailand but that is from travels not worked there. Singapore you should get 3,500 per month sterling and good jobs there (mate works there). That equates to 2k elsewhere.

12. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

%"^£$**&^!
    Humph!