1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected progress help

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by -myrtille-, Nov 1, 2015.

1. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Hi,

I'm setting my appraisal target for this year and was doing some googling to help me decide what would be a sensible number to put on my Y11 class.

Before we get started, I completely agree that measuring levels of progress based on their attainment in KS2 English and Maths is complete rubbish. But that's the system I've got to work within, and at least I'm my school allows me to set my own target rather than imposing an unachievable one on me.

So...

We have "languages for all" and my (top-set out of 2) class are a fairly mixed ability bunch, currently working at grades A to F. Based on how they're currently doing, I think 52% of them are going to make the alleged 3 Levels Progress and 25% of them are on track make 4 Levels Progress.

As 3 Levels Progress is the national "expected" level, only getting 52% of them to that point sounds pretty appalling. So I'm feeling under pressure (from myself, not from above) to bump it up a bit to a more ambitious sounding number.

But I did some googling and found this: www.bolsover.derbyshire.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/Target-Setting.pdf

The letter in the link states that nationally, only 26% of pupils make 3 Levels of Progress in French. If this is true, it's great news from my point of view, as it turns my 52% into an ambitious, aspirational goal of double the national average! The trouble is, I can't find what this headteacher's source is in order to back it up if queried.

I've done some more googling but haven't found an official page stating this. Does anyone (I'm guessing HoDs are more likely to know as you do more number crunching) have a source?

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

You can download the KS2-KS4 transition matrices and see exactly what % of pupils in French or in Spanish from each starting point (KS2) went on to get what grade at GCSE. Here's a link to the 2014 information. Don't panic at the page. Go to the button thing at the bottom of the page on the right and click on "All TMs Percentages". This brings up a list of subjects. Find the subject you want, and you can see the grid. If you know the starting point of your pupils (your school will have this information) you can see what % typically go on to get what grade. I don't know if 2015 is out yet but you could google it.