1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected Progress at A Level

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jauntyhair, Dec 4, 2015.

1. jauntyhair

jauntyhair New commenter

I have a Matrix for the percentage of students who should make different levels of progress at GCSE given their entry points. I wondered whether something similar was available at A level.

I teach psychology and I am arguing that my results are not that bad in an appeal meeting related to pay. I feel that a class with 6 students with targets of Es will not always result in 6 Es. Surely a certain percentage will be expected to achieve D and some U.

These are called National Transitional Matrices for KS2-KS4. Can anyone suggest where I can access similar for expected AS or A level results.

Many thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. jauntyhair

jauntyhair New commenter

thanks

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You are correct - if you go back to the raw data behind all of this a probability of achieving a particular grade is quoted. When the sample is as small as 6 then no conclusion based upon what they achieve is really valid.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Firstly, never agree data-based targets relating to pay.

Secondly, It's bad science. You can't predict expected progress on an individual basis, Unfortunately you are working for innumerate fools who shouldn't be doing what they are doing. You could try explaining how the numbers work to them, but no one likes to be told they're a bit light upstairs. Good luck.

http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.co...-thing-as-expected-progress-for-an-individual

This sort of thing:

[​IMG]