1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

expected levels in year 5.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3518, Feb 12, 2008.

1. am an nqt and to be honest talk of levels and where a child should be and how much progress they should make gets me a little disheartened. Would anyone be able to tell me what level a year 5 child should be at the start of the year and at the end of the year, or how much progress they should make over the year? ;0/

would be mucho thankful

2. am an nqt and to be honest talk of levels and where a child should be and how much progress they should make gets me a little disheartened. Would anyone be able to tell me what level a year 5 child should be at the start of the year and at the end of the year, or how much progress they should make over the year? ;0/

would be mucho thankful

3. I may well be corrected here...
    I thought pupils should be at 4c at the end of the year, but I always through 3a was also ok. Pupils should make 3 points progress, which is about 1 1/2 sublevels, but I think ?? maybe they are expected to make 4 points from yr 4 to 5?? Working backwards, maybe they should be around 3b at the beginning of the year. However, for me what's important is individual progress

4. I think... expected levels on entering 3b/3a and when they leave 3a/4c. The idea being the children make two sub-levels progress in year 5. In year 4 they 'should' also make 2 sub levels of progress. I think that because an apparent natural 'dip' in year 3 they make one sublevels progress and the same in year 6.
    Or that's how I have been lead to believe it!

5. myrtle

myrtle Occasional commenter

3b lower on entry, 3a upper on exit

6. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Nothing to do with levels but in some ways more useful. In the maths section of the primary framework there is a document for each year group called 'Pitch and Expectations' which details exactly what the children are expected to be able to do by the end of each year. Sort of like the old NNS. It's in the maths section of the library under planning.

7. Dopey Dwarf

Dopey Dwarf New commenter

In booklet that i have it says the expected levels for y5 are 3a/4c. Don't know if it is of any help.

8. Hmmm. Just come back from parents eve with my son's teacher (Y5). In reading comprehension, he was 4 at end Year 3, 4C at end Year 4 and is still 4C now! He got L3 at end KS1 and this in a school graded outstanding by OFSTED.

Worried!

(sorry, that doesn't help original poster except to say that his teacher kept repeating he was above average. Grrrrr!)