1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected levels for Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rubber, Mar 14, 2007.

1. What should my Y4's be achieving now and by the end of the year?

2. Thanks minindie for that but what should the average Y4 be achieving? My head has just set my performance management pupil targets and I feel they are a bit ambitious!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Nationally, the expectation is L2 in Year 2, and L4 in Year 6, ergo the mid-point should be L3 in Year 4

4. If you take the government definition of average, then the average year 6 child should achieve level 4. Therefore, the average year 4 child should achieve level 3 (3B). However, it all depends on their individual achievements at the end of KS1, you cannot be expected to raise the standards of children beyond what they achieved at the end of KS1.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You absolutely MUST raise it above what they achieved at KS1, else they'll have stood still for 2 years. But equally, you have to be sensible about how much you can realistically achieve in that time - all the more difficult if you don't have KS1 in your own school.

6. I agree that Level 1 SAT results must be improved upon but are the levels comparable with those at KS2.
    I am finding that teacher assessments at Y1 are over optomistic (and I can't blame the teacher as she believes in raising self esteem in her children and making herself look good (sorry about that).

If they are being given L3 at the end of KS1 the Y3 teacher then is forced to up her assessments so she doesn't look bad and then when I get them as Y4's I put a realistic slant on the levels and find myself being branded as an unsatisfactory teacher! I don't feel honesty and integrity matter any longer in this profession.

I have tried to approach this problem with the head (ie. that teacher assessments are at best unreliable
    but he just thinks I am an old moaner)

7. It`s only 4 years late, but this reply should help answer the question! http://www.devon.gov.uk/fostering-national-curriculum-levels.pdf

8. Your targets should really be related to progress surely? And you should know what their progress is by this point in the year, and know whether or not the previous levels were too high? If they were and your identified that early on, the teacher who had over-assessed could have been supported in their assessments this year. I think if you go and say they were over-assessed previously now, it will be difficult to prove that. What you do need to know, is exactly where each child is now and how likely it is that they'll make the progress your head is expecting them to make with only 1 term left to go. 'Average' for end of Year 4 is 3b, but that is neither here nor there - your children need to make progress.