1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected Easter revision sessions

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Aelfric, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

Had a funny altercation this week with one of our lovely senior leadership this week. Came round with her clip board and her Easter revision session sheet. She did her whole “are you going to be doing a session?” play and I told her that I would be spending the holidays in Egypt with the wife and kids. She then got really arsey saying that surely I wasn’t in Egypt for the full two weeks and that I could at least spare a morning because it is ‘expected’ because of the exams. Truth of the matter is it’s two weeks all inclusive and I will be getting a lovely tan and quality family time and I don’t appreciate the arsiness.

Do these people not think we have lives, let alone do these people not have lives?

2. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Oh and this person also holds a crystal ball to your life :rolleyes: Just say how you will be unavailable during the holiday period and totally ignore her very unprofessional conduct.Enjoy your holiday and get the deepest tan possible and make a point of seeing her after so she can admire your tan. If she insists and you are bothered to answer simply make up an itinerary of exciting activities and she might just realise what a saddo she is. Do however take a note of the date she asked you as this might be useful in the future You are under no obligation to do these revision sessions which imo are often attended by the wrong pupils and are ineffective. I never do them.The best schools rarely offer them either If a child needs help I offer them either help during the lesson or for a couple of mins after the lesson. If you do want to do some additional revision you could state how you will be doing revision by appointment only and only during term time. Again ONLY if you really want to and TBH hardly any turn up. I take it you are being offered payment.

Enjoy and forget the silly moo

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Revision sessions in the holiday should be entirely optional and paid.

Maybe ask them what they feel the students will gain in a 3 hour morning revision session that they've not had access to for the last 2 years.

Enjoy your holiday.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We're not doing them this year

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Bit late for them to be negotiating this.

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Were you offered payment?
    No?
    Have a lovely actual holiday.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Revision sessions in the holiday should be entirely optional and paid.

Maybe ask them what they feel the students will gain in a 3 hour morning revision session that they've not had access to for the last 2 years.

Enjoy your holiday.

These are the words of @purplecarrot but I thought they needed repeating.

8. grumpydogwoman

Moreover I blame the schools.

For not enough Latin.

If they knew any Latin (this is the staff of whom I speak) they'd be able to tell students that revision is derived from re and the past participle of video (it's visum). Thus the essence of revision is seeing something again.

Go forth and multiply, young people! Er, no. Not that. Well, that too. But go forth and look at your books AGAIN. It's not rocket science. Unless it IS rocket science. Obviously.

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

At least it was quite clear cut in your case; I worry that other staff will be bullied into it. Perhaps it's worth your union rep putting out a reminder to all staff that they cannot be directed during the school holidays, and any revision sessions should be entirely voluntary, even if pay is offered. It might make sure that any young naive teachers are aware of the rules, and also that SLT are aware that staff are aware!

10. gainly

gainly Established commenter

In many cases I suspect it's more a case of vision than revision.

11. install

install Star commenter

You could always send her a postcard :p

chelsea2, Rachelmbx, Marisha and 11 others like this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Offer to live stream a 3 hour revision session from Egypt, then point the camera up the Sphinx's ar*e while you look round the pyramids. :)

13. livingstone83

livingstone83 New commenter

I worked in the holidays once. That was a residential trip to a University. We stayed all week.
    For a lot of schools, this was the last week of term before the big holiday, for us it was the first week of the big holiday.
    I didn't get paid, in fact, it cost me a fair bit of money once you factor in the travel, the meals, and the fact that the kids I took didn't bring enough money (they didn't really have much of it at home - the trip was for low-income families).
    Absolutely loved it. The kids really got a lot from it, and I would go again in a heartbeat.

Now, I've also been asked to do revision sessions over holidays. Not once have I taken up that kid offer. I set additional homework that was optional - to help those that need structure to their revision.

As I told my Dep Head, there's no way I'm giving up my holidays to work - you just try this in any other job. You'd be told to do one.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I really loathe this current expectation that staff will run (unpaid) revision sessions, either in the holidays, at weekends or after school.
    I used to write out a revison timetable which set out every topic for every Yr 11 (or 12 or 13) lesson between February half term and the exam. The students all had a copy glued into their planner and it was on the classroom wall. I told parents about it at Parents' evenings. When anyone from SLT asked what extra revision I was doing, I'd point at the sheet and tell them the plan. Then I asked what extra cash was available. Then they went away.
    @Aelfric, have a lovely holiday.

bevdex, jlishman2158, strawbs and 6 others like this.
  15. rawblonde

rawblonde New commenter

poor. If it's an expectation it needs to be written into contracts. from my experience, these Easter sessions are so poorly organized it's not worth the bother. I offered some on a number of occasions but they clashed with everything else so no one came (no fault of learners).

when eventually it was better planned out - attendance was terrible. mainly because they went on holiday with their parents/families. what a crazy notion!

I should add, if learners are 'expected' to attend, then parents need to know the date from day 1. I suspect they may tell the school to foxtrot-Oscar (I would)

16. rawblonde

rawblonde New commenter

Brilliant

It's a box ticking exercise for in my eyes

17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I don't have a lot to contribute here, except to add a note of caution: there's no such thing as a safe tan, e.g:

https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...ngproductsandprocedures/tanning/ucm116432.htm

18. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

And same clipboard SLT member will of course be around offering nothing except to comment on how few students turned up and producing meaningless statistics to promote their worthiness but in reality their worthlessness.
    Enjoy your holiday!

19. grumpydogwoman

Whatever happened to:

• slams book shut in theatrical fashion
    • surveys the throng and nods head sagaciously
    • "Well, dear ones, I have done all that I can. What I know of English Literature (other subjects are available) you now know. Your revision calendar (including hydration and rest periods) is in print and on your desks. Go in peace and get revising! Good luck."
    • bell sounds
    • benevolent wave
    • "Have a nice holiday!"

Honest to Dog, what's wrong with that???!!!

20. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I was thinking along the lines of:
    I've researched flights; I could be back for one day in the middle of my stay in Egypt on <date> and would need taxi from Gatwick. So £xxx for the return flights, £yyy for the return taxi, and £zzz for the hotel before my flight back to Egypt. Happy to provide a 2-hour revision slot on that basis: I await your cheque.

bevdex, langteacher, blazer and 11 others like this.