1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expected at end of reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milliemoo13, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

Hello,

What would you expect a child who was assessed as expected at the end of reception to be able to do in year 1? I'm especially interested in writing?

My school does not advocate CP in KS1 so the children come straight in to a formal teaching / learning setting and I have to have something in my books everyday for Literacy, Maths and Topic as well as handwriting and Guided Reading.

I have a TA but she is used for interventions as well.

For any EYFS teachers, how do you decide a child is expected in writing? What evidence do you use? Do you assess on writing they have done with support or independently in the provision areas?

TIA

x

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

At the end of Reception children are assessed against 17 Early Learning Goals (ELGs) - one of which is writing. Children are assessed to be "emerging" (not yet achieving the ELG), "expected" (achieving the ELG), or "exceeding" (achieving well beyond the ELG).

There are exemplification materials for each ELG, which show the standard to which a child should be working in order to be assessed as "expected". Evidence should be things done independently, often in the provision areas but sometimes in response to an adult initiated task. As in KS1, a one-off piece is not enough - you need a variety of evidence.

To achieve "expected" in writing, children should write simple sentences that can be read by themselves and others. Some words should be spelled correctly (including common irregular words), and others should be spelled in a way that is phonetically plausible.

The exemplification materials for the Writing Early Learning Goal can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/360534/ELG10___Writing.pdf
    Scroll down - the examples start on page 5.

Personally I think the examples given are at the top end of what you might expect in Reception, and many children will not be able to write as well as this.

nereavizcay likes this.
  3. jenjen-uk

jenjen-uk New commenter

You have to have something in books every day? We aim for twice a week with Maths and English and particularly at the beginning of the year that's often photos