1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expectations of extra lessons

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Eflmeister, Apr 14, 2018.

1. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

This would only work if every teacher did it. Odd ones here and there will have little effect.

If the research referred to by @Catgirl1964 is correct, then even if the teacher gets it 100% correct in lessons, it will not contribute much to the end result anyway. The real issue is the reluctance of students and parents, to accept thay actually have any responsibility for final outcomes.

The extra time might allow students to catch up on project-based work they should already have done, but I don't think desperate last-minute revision for exams will achieve much.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

@JohnJCazorla I don't know why OP was so reluctant to link to the Ofsted report now that it's published and in the public domain, but it's easy to find, it's The Bemrose School in Derby, an all-through 4-19 school. OP's quote is on page 5.

https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/112951

It was RI overall in 2016 and is now Good overall and for everything except pupil outcomes! Always seems an odd judgement that, but this looks like the usual explanation, previous leadership left after the 2016 RI and new team shows good 'capacity to improve'.

JohnJCazorla, border_walker and Pomza like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

But if they're doing all those things and pupil outcomes are still RI the all those other things aren't proving effective,

As we all know, all the extra 'support' in the world won't help if the kids don't care enough.

border_walker likes this.
  4. ATfan

ATfan Occasional commenter

Period 9 in some cases. Independent schools/private colleges expect this so that they can argue that they are proving excellent customer service and value for money. Another example of oneupmanship to their competitors, they think. I would argue that evening and weekend workshops merely tire out those who do attend (staff and students) which could then damage performance in 'normal' lessons and exams.

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I'm afraid that as I was a part-time teacher it was expected that any work I did for my class away from actually teaching them, was expected to be done quite unpaid - and this, I must admit, amounted to hours of work. Perhaps we were just stupid enough to do it. So we were classed as "part-time" teachers, but we worked full-time hours. This didn't mean that we were entitled to teachers' pensions or even full state pensions because of being classed as 'part-time'. It's always been wrong when it comes to teachers.

6. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

Currently core subjects at my workplace are under pressure to provide Saturday morning sessions. Some people have caved in but I absolutely refuse to do this. I have never met such a lazy bunch of year 11 students as we have this year. If they got off their social media and actually made some effort they might attract some sympathy from me. As things stand they are likely to underperform massively because they can not be botheredisappointed to do anything.

henrypm0, ATfan and ridleyrumpus like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

I did a few Saturday morning sessions, organised by the schools in our 6th form consortium, running up to the exams (for which I was paid, I might add!). The only advantage was that only the highly motivated students turned up, which made teaching them a pleasure. In terms of cost, it was hardly worth it, as the numbers were so small.

We are heading for a bizarre situation in schools. The normal 9 to 4 school day will just be crowd control, and keeping the scrotes off the street, while the real teaching, for those motivated enough to turn up, will be at twilight and Saturday morning sessions. Of course, teachers will be expected to do both, without any extra pay.

8. Rott Weiler

We run KS4 and KS5 revision classes during the holidays and yes we do pay the teachers extra and they volunteer. We do it for a reason not previously mentioned. We are in one of the poorest areas of the country and the majority of our pupils are living in very overcrowded housing. There is nowhere at home they can have a room to themselves to work in - or often even a table to work at. As so few of them have anywhere quiet where they can study at home we are trying to meet that need.

ATfan and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I do extra lunchtime and this month, afterschool GCSE sessions, but I am at an independent and we are reviewing exam techniques. Last year, I only needed to do the occasional lunch-time. I actually don't mind as my colleagues all do the same. I am at a non-selective girls independent and I know that the girls appreciate all the extras we do.

However, I won't do crazy hours or extra +, eg. there is a current student who wants to hand in extra practice papers or has suggested that I give extra lessons during my gained time and I have said that I simply cannot and my SLT support this. As the only person in my subject, my gained time is precious as I need to do SOW, etc.

ATfan likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have to say that I never refused to mark extra essays/past exam questions, even past papers, if a student handed them in. I could mark those in my own time. But extra lessons*, esp. on weekends or in the holidays..? Never.

*Having written that, I do remember a few, literally a handful of one off sessions (over several years, not each year), held to deal with specific issues or exam techniques. But at lunchtime, never out of school hours.

sabrinakat and ATfan like this.
  11. ATfan

ATfan Occasional commenter

Fair enough! :) Just to amend my previous post: I have no problem with extra revision workshops if given payment or TOIL and if it is agreed between teacher, student and managers. For instance, I have chosen to give part of my annual leave for the keen students and like other tes users on here have found that we (the students and I) have been mutually grateful to each other for making the arrangement and found the workshops to be useful. What I have a problem with is when it becomes a permanent annual management expectation rather than a recognised going beyond the call of duty out of goodwill, especially if is is unpaid and the students don't turn up.

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ah, to clarify - I never mind correcting past papers; I do mind being asked to do by the student during my 'free' periods or expected by the student to mark within their time-scale (eg. that day).

:eek:

FrankWolley likes this.
  13. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

Yeah right. A gym hall and a TA could provide somewhere quiet. I would classify it as overtime, do you pay them extra, their normal nominal hourly rate, or a lesser wage?

14. FrankWolley

Absolutely.

15. Rott Weiler

I don't know why you are so cynical and disbelieving of what I say but we do more than just provide substitute housing - active/teaching revision. I don't know what the pay rate is, I don't decide it, but presumably teachers wouldn't volunteer if they thought the pay rate was taking the pi**. There's no expectation or pressure, volunteering means volunteering.

16. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

The thing I really hate about 'extra lessons' is that most pupils don't actually want to be there. Some schools bribe them with sweets and make the lessons count towards prom attendance, but if the children don't want to be there, they won't learn. Simple. Especially not on a summer afternoon when they thought they had finished for the day.

I don't mind running a lesson after school for any of my students who need a little extra help, come to me with essays etc - they are keen so I'm keen. Actually, I always enjoy that, it's like a bit of additional 6th form teaching.

But Lord protect us from the mob herded in by SLT after the day is done, in the strange assumption that merely being in the room with learning will somehow make it seep in.

JohnJCazorla, Catgirl1964 and ATfan like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger12

There is the rub, though. In some schools, extra after-school, and Saturday morning, lessons are just imposed on staff, without any increase in pay. You can easily end up teaching an additional eight to ten hours per week.

@SEBREGIS: I agree. Even worse is when a lazy duty SMT member dumps their after school detainees in your class.

18. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

So where are those students I asked you to take care of?
    I took care of them for you.
    I've not seen them since.
    Of course not. I 'took care of them'.
    .... what? Well - where are they now?
    You want to know? You're sure you want to know.
    Yes!!
    You know the new extention we're having built? The one where the concrete is still wet.....

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  19. Jolly_Roger12

@SEBREGIS: "Sonderbehandlung, Herr Oberschulefuehrer!"

20. FrankWolley

You jest....

But I was working in Gloucestershire at the time Fred West was arrested. He was well known locally for working odd hours (often at night) laying concrete floors in all types of buildings... Not just his own house. :eek: