1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expectations of extra lessons

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Eflmeister, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

On the one hand, Ofsted and the DfE say that reducing workload is a priority.

On the other hand, I’ve just found this little gem from a very recent Ofsted report.

“Additional lessons take place after school, in social time and in the school holidays. Teachers give pupils every chance to learn and achieve well.”

Then they go on to judge pupil outcomes as RI.

How can schools help reduce workload with such contradictory messages being issued by the big O? Other Heads may read that report and think that it’s necessary to get staff to do the same as “that’s what Ofsted like/want/demand/insert other verb here”

I despair.

Fierygirl, bevdex, woollani and 3 others like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I can just about live with the concept of helping out here or there. But this sounds too much.

Presumably this means the "Additional lessons" were also evidenced with registers, planning, seating plans.......:eek:

Can you name the school, the report is now in the public domain?

Eflmeister likes this.
  3. Eflmeister

I’d rather not name it here, sorry. What got me is that this is shown up to be a good thing then outcomes were judged RI, which just encourages all these extra lessons to become the norm. Pupils and teachers need a break.

Mrsmumbles and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Some friends were instructed by an assistant head to do extra lessons in the holiday. He also teaches in the department. On being asked if he was also doing revision classes, replied that his lessons were so good, his pupils didn't need any extra help.
    Funnily enough, I got some extra income a couple of years ago, tutoring one of his class.

5. Eflmeister

I hope your friends told him where to go as I’m fairly certain you can’t be directed to teach in the holidays. Please correct me if I’m wrong someone.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Your Union can confirm this, but - if the school follows the 'Burgundy Book' conditions of service - you can only be directed on 195 days (190 teaching + 5 INSET), and that doesn't include weekends/holidays.

But, if your school is an Academy, you may need to check the details of your contract.

7. Eflmeister

I suppose this is the problem. Academies can make staff work all hours and holidays are no longer protected if the contract says so. Ridiculous.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Contracts have to be agreed. I think an Academy that wrote one saying that all staff had to work at any time during any school holiday would face a lot of flack. I've not heard of any such school (but I am retired and 'out of the loop', perhaps).

9. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

Not this old chestnut again! I suppose 'extra help' for individual students might be justified, if carried out by additional staff, but surely regular 'extra lessons' devalues ordinary timetabled lessons in the eyes of the students.

@phlogiston. Your AH wins the 'smug b*st*rd' of the week award.

tonymars, bevdex and Eflmeister like this.
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Academy contracts contain the old, "...any reasonable request ..", clause. I never worked holidays.

Teachers all too often give in to this nonsense.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

There is no point in giving extra revision lessons after school, weekends or holidays, etc, it just gives students the impression they don't have to bother too much with the subject content the first time round

tonymars, bevdex, elder_cat and 4 others like this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Fortunately, he is not "my" AH. Unfortunately the dynamics in their school are complicated. The AH has a reputation of knowing so much that he never needs or bothers to listen to anyone.

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

See, I wouldn’t despair, I’d quit, start tutoring and mop up the extra business. Oh...hang on, I’m already doing this! Interventions don’t always work. My students won’t go to them as hardly any turn up and the same problems are there: disillusioned overworked teachers who don’t have subject and syllabus mastery, the right resources or the pedagogical experience to push the kids through the grade C/level 5/level 4/have a gold star barrier. They will have to quietly drop these sessions soon, when the number of cheap teachers quitting hits over 100,000. By then, the Learning Shed Five Year Plans will be well underway, so they can slap the kids in there instead. The ones who turn up, anyway.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

Haha, SNAP! Oh the hypocritical irony. Do it full time and you never have to see their self-deluded irritating selves again! The kids know about the hypocrisy, believe me. A lot, anyway..

15. Mrsmumbles

Yes! And aren’t academies meant to be making these bold citizens of the future empowered, self-critical and robustly resilient self -directed learners? Off you go then, kids...library’s that way...

16. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 New commenter

Sadly it is becoming the norm for 'extra' revision session. It used to be the case, many years ago, when students revised at home themselves but, unfortunately, this can no longer be relied upon. Students know they can coast during lessons because these sessions are made available. As we all know, schools are judged to a large extent by their results and 'progress' made so are all in competition with one another. When schools offer extra lessons, the bar is raised and other schools feel obliged to also offer these lessons to get the best results possible. However, research has shown that a good teacher only has a 15 percent influence on any student's results, the other 85 percent is attributed to attitude, effort and parental support. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Unless league tables are discontinued, I can envisage an increase in the pressure to offer extra curricular work.

tonymars, JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

Extra lessons after school, and revision sessions, are becoming the norm, these days. It is certainly eating into my side line as a private tutor.

18. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

My contact sets that as the minimum

19. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

This always makes me laugh. Firstly, teachers should have the guts to say NO! Secondly, as I point out to my students, if a teacher/school can't get it right during normal lesson time then extra lessons (usually near exam time) are going to make precious little difference.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  20. woollani

woollani Occasional commenter

It is known as period 6. More fool those teachers that do it (for free).