1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expectations as a Head of Year

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BuryFCA1, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I have been covering as a head of year recently due to an illness and the original head of year's return is due anytime. The pupils in the year are moaning about the return of the new HoY and saying that they all prefer me and like me and that they want to start a petition and keep me. In an inner city school I cant quite work out if this is a good or bad thing.
    On one hand it is good that the kids like me and feel safe with me if you interpret it this way or can it be interpreted as a bad thing in the fact that maybe they dont see me as a strict disciplinarian possibly like the returning HoY. Some people might say I let them get away with things when clearly this is not true. I cant work out how to take it! Help please?

2. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I have been covering as a head of year recently due to an illness and the original head of year's return is due anytime. The pupils in the year are moaning about the return of the new HoY and saying that they all prefer me and like me and that they want to start a petition and keep me. In an inner city school I cant quite work out if this is a good or bad thing.
    On one hand it is good that the kids like me and feel safe with me if you interpret it this way or can it be interpreted as a bad thing in the fact that maybe they dont see me as a strict disciplinarian possibly like the returning HoY. Some people might say I let them get away with things when clearly this is not true. I cant work out how to take it! Help please?

3. Absolutely. For heaven's sake squash any suggestion of a petition/campaign. Imagine how the returning from illness person would feel to come back to that. Horrible.