1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expectation of reception children?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by life2teach, Sep 12, 2011.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hiya
    Just started my new job in reception and was wondering at this early stage, how the children are suppose to act? What can/cant they do?
    When training I was in reception but that was in June/July so they were "advanced". My children now of course are young, a bit figety etc but is this normal developmement?

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hope my post makes sense. I guess Im panicking coz Im an nqt. Im always wondering am I controlling them? Are they sitting nicely enough? When the kids walk in a line it gets mixed up sometimes but thats normal at this stage isnt it? The schoolwant the kids to line up in register order butcurrently they cant do this as they cant remember their place.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Register order! What on earth is the point of that?
    We had home visits last week, so began our staggered entry today. We had 5 children this morning (and will have a few more each morning until we have half the class in on Friday morning.) The other half of the class are gradually coming in in the afternoons, starting with the first 5 this afternoon.
    But even with only 5 children, it took 2 of us to keep them in a straight line when we went out onto the playground. It was like herding cats! I've forgotten how slowly you have to walk in the first few days, and how often you have to keep stopping.
    But it does get better - and generally pretty quickly. It's a mixture of the children just being young, and also getting them used to your expectations, classroom routines etc.

4. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thank heavens! Thank you for your reply cariad2 it has made be feel better and relived. *sigh* the less said about getting the children to line up in register order the better! I see no point. Walking slower is a good tip I will do that. I just forget how small and young they are. They are basically big toddlers lol. I should be less harsh on myself because it is only a few days into their school life. Do you think other year teachers realise how young they are coz sometimes I feel like colleagues are tutting :-s

5. Hi don't worry about their ability at this first stage the huge thing is modelling over and over again thbis first term you'll feel a bit like a broken record but it's so worth it in the end. Make sure your firm but still fair in this 1st term as they will be learning all the boundaries of the room and just enjoy it because you in a brilliant year group and if your this worried i'm sure you'll do fine :). Also a lot of other teachers will understand but the odd one wont so don't worry about any tutting just ignore and carry on with what your doing. Good luck

6. You feel like every one is tutting because you are trying to prove yourself....of course you are, thats how life is. Most probably they are not even looking at you or your class (except to say to themselves 'ah') they are very busy trying to sort their own class out. Stop worrying, slow down, its only the second week. You will be fine and by July you and your class will be flying! Good luck!

7. hsz06rgu

hsz06rgu New commenter

Uh, I hate register order! My school is insisting on this as well. Mine only started today, but I had the full intake of 30 with them al starting full time! A couple are only just four, so lining up was hard! You forget how much they rely on you to show them what to do. Think they are getting the idea of hands up thoug (and then waiting to be asked!).
    Don't worry about what they should be doing that this stage. The most important thing is that by July they have progressed on from where they are now. They are little, only just out of nursery and used to mum doing everything for them. It's going to take them a couple of weeks to settle in properly.

8. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We are just working on putting hands up without shouting out at the moment. They can sit on the carpet for a story, but no longer.

9. We have to do register order. It worked last year I gave them numbers instead as they seem to remember them. Im in process of doing with mine at mo - it does get easier"

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Why do so many schools seem to want children to line up in register order? And what is given as a rationale for it?
    I wouldn't like to be told what order my children have to line up in. I usually let mine line up in any order, but I like the flexibility to separate particular children if I need to. What happens if your 2 naughtiest children, or 2 children who always wind each other up happen to be after each other in the register?

11. The only possible rationale I can think of is so that it will be easy to check the class when there's a fire drill. Of course, if it takes 10 minutes to get children in order you're not going to do it if there's a fire drill.

12. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Numbers are a good idea and I was thinking that...but seriously, my kids wont remember their numbers - they can barely count to 10.

13. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Has any put their reception class in talking partners yet and told the children who/what they are? At the moment I feel the children are just settling in. Isnt a bit much to be doing register order, talking partners, all the different routines, homework - all at once?
    :-s

14. life2teach, are you teaching reception or year1?????? Your last post made me think you may be expecting too much from these little ones. It is only the 2nd week of term, these children should be getting to know their classroom each other, daily routines etc. There will be lots of talking together as they play, explore etc etc.
    As for homework......[​IMG]

15. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

I agree with you! I teach reception. Homework and talking partners are the schools expectations, not mine. I think they are too young. This was what the post was about as I was confused of what the children can do in September.

16. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I do use talking partners and find it very useful - but I wouldn't even think about it this early in the year. I might try it in a few weeks or I might leave it until after half-term. It depends on how the children's listening skills develop.
    At the moment, my priorities are:
    • for children to be happy and to want to come to school (this is my number one priority at the moment)
    • for children to be able to give their parents a goodbye kiss and cuddle and to be able to come into the classroom on their own
    • for children to begin to get to know children who came from different playgroups or nurseries and to begin to make new friends
    • for children to share and take turns when playing
    • for children to understand that we don't run, shout or make silly noises in the classroom
    • for children to be able to find their own coat pegs and hang their coats up themselves, and to find their own drawers and put their bookbags away themselves
    • for children to stop playing, look at me, and listen to me when I give my attention-getting signal
    • for all children to help when we tidy up
    • for children to be able to stay one behind the other when we are in a line, and to be able to walk quietly in their line when we move around the school
    • for children to be able to sit on the carpet long enough for a story and a couple of songs
    • for children to sit on their bottoms and cross their legs when we're on the carpet (and understand why we do this ie so that nobody trips over our legs, and children behind somebody else can still see)
    • for children to put their hands up rather than calling out on the carpet
    • for children to have to confidence to go to the toilet without an adult, to be able to find their way there and back again, and to have remembered to wash their hands
    • for children to have some of their water and some fruit at snack time
    • for children to come over to myself or the TA when we ask them to join us for a short activity
    There are probably other things that I can't think of off the top of my head, but basically it's all to do with enjoyment of school, developing independence and understanding behaviour expectations. I hope that's reassuring.

17. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

This is reassuring as I also think the main things to concentrate on are enjoying school and behaviour management etc. I am a bit stressed because it is hard enough to get the children to settle; without having to worry about register order, talking partners :-s
    Hmmm... Ireally dont think the children are reasy for all of this so I will try and stall lol

18. Amen to that

19. What a fantastic post cariad2! These are all the things I am focusing on without having actually written them down. I will cut and paste your list and have it in front of me as a reminder. Thank you very much. I might have to add one though: for all children to keep their hands, feet and teeth to themselves!

20. As the headteacher to model getting them into register order!