1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expat Pensions

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rednelly84, Dec 31, 2011.

1. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Hello,
    I am beginning to look into expat or offshore pensions. I am in the middle of my second year in the ME and think I need to start paying into something again. I can't see myself returning to the UK until summer 2014.
    Is it worth me opening up and paying into something for only 2 years? Should I just use one of my existing ISAs and pay into that?
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Happy New Year when it comes!
    [​IMG]

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Where in the ME are you? I know a really good, honest and very knowledgeable IFA who will give you good advice.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I'm reminded strangely of a conversation in Under Milk Wood:
    Sindbad Sailors: I dote on that Gossamer Beynon. She's a lady. All over.
    Mr Waldo: No woman I know is.
    Less obliquely: Anybody who tries to sell you anything is NOT independent.
    In my time I have bought so many snarks (or 'products') via so-called independent financial advisors only to find that my 'portfolio' now consists of a veritable zoo of boojums. I currently have part of my ill-gotten hoard invested with a large international organisation called De Vere whose local rep makes the right noises and seems astute. I don't recommend but I live in hope.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I can see why you say this, but this lady spent at least 3 hours of her time with me and mine looking at what my requirements were.
    She was not able to help directly but gave me reliable contacts who would (and have).
    She charged me nothing and didnt sell me anything.
    I know of many other people who she has also helped.
    Quite unique.

5. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Stopwatch, I am in Abu Dhabi.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Sometimes I think that "expat pensions" is a bit of an oxymoron, rather like "military intelligence."

7. Hi there,
    on the note on expat pensions: what do other teaches abroad do with their teacher pension from the UK? I have paid into a teacher pension for 8 years. It is valued at 40,000. I have been advised to take it and transfer to a private pension since I am unlikely to return to UK in near future - if at all. However, I seem to hear conflicting opinions on this. What do other teachers do?

thanks in advance