1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exit tickets at the end of a lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by AshgarMary, Dec 7, 2011.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Does anyone use Exit Tickets at the end of a science lesson (KS3/4/5)?

I've just been reading about them and they look like a great idea, just wondering if anyone has tried it and how it went down?

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Does anyone use Exit Tickets at the end of a science lesson (KS3/4/5)?

I've just been reading about them and they look like a great idea, just wondering if anyone has tried it and how it went down?

3. I have several times - I have a set with faces - smiley, straight & unhappy
    and ask students to indicate how they feel and why, what will they do to change or maintain how they feel
    what they would like me to do to help
    Also - which parts of a topic they feel they need to revisit etc

4. I'm a PGCE student and used some yesterday for my first proper full lesson. I asked them to write down 3 things they learned and one thing they would like to know more about (and voiced over that it could be because they didn't understand or they were just interested to learn more).
    I think it worked OK, as they clearly understand the key objective of the lesson, but a couple of them just tend to just copy each other in the "what you have learned section" which is irritating. The extra questions generated through one thing they would like to know more about are nice though and give you an idea of what you can talk about in the next lesson or with another class.

5. hammyr

hammyr New commenter

Ive used them in the past - but your post has reminded me to do them again!
    I find it's useful if there is a mix of open and closed questions - in particular a question where they circle the answer e.g. rate your understanding with numbers 1-10, or if they've been working on Graphs ask them to give the aspect they need to focus on.
    It's also a nice way of asking them to nominate the hardest worker, or person who's made the most progress in the class - or something else that is nice!

6. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

Love them - I used one with my Y11 after we did a whole lesson on molecular modelling last week:
    The model I like best was... because...
    The model I liked least was.. because...
    Something I learned was...
    Something that could be better was...

Also simple WWW and EBI ones

Or 2 stars and a wish (2 things they learned, 1 thing that could be better)

I've had some pretty good answers recently, it's encouraging when you get good feedback and also they can be honest anonymously if they didn't enjoy something.

Like anything, be aware not to use them too often though
    :)