1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exit interview

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ballerina, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I am finally leaving after 2 years of hell, have a great job to go to so was happy to cut my losses and go. Now one of my colleagues is being treated the same way I was, should I ask for an exit interview with the governors? Could this backfire at all?

2. Chances are that they know and are condoning it....it maybe seen as sour grapes and if you are not prepared to act upon your words will become stirring up trouble and deemed a trouble-maker....
    Plus it will get back to the HT eventually and you may need the HT for a reference should unforeseen change in circumstance occur...

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Miss Pious is right. People often ask if they should 'tell it as it is' in an exit interview and I would always tell them not to. That's not to say you shouldn't feel you can say anything criticial in an exit interview - but if you do, it should be worded positively, e.g. 'I think that communication to staff could be improved by...' or 'It would be better if...'

4. Don't rock the boat. Chances are you couldn't tell them anything they don't know anyway - and it might backfire even after a decade. Just quote personal reasons, leave quietly and enjoy your new job!

5. Forgive my frustration, but what IS IT about teachers that makes them feel they have a no choice put up with recurrent patterns of abuse in the workplace? Does no-one recall the phrase attributed to Edmund Burke "For evil to triumph it is only necessary that good people do nothing". I remain perpetually amazed that so many teachers counsel "don't rock the boat... just leave quietly..." Does anyone recognise the parallels with other abusers, who also relied on the tacit complicity of those who were too scared to take a stand? If you convey your concerns in a professional manner, and are able to assert that your concerns are well documented, and corroborated, why would you feel it would be disadvantaged?

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Teachers generally are not very good at following rules or procedures and often believe themselves above reprisal - ironic eh?

7. And then some, Daisy!