1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exit interview - how honest should I be?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blizzard, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I am having an exit interview and was wondering how honest I should be. Staff morale is not very high at the moment and I'm unsure whether to mention some of the problems to the HT or not. I will probably want to use them as a reference at a later date.
    Any suggestions?
    B

2. It always feels rather tempting to mention a few things on the way out but I'd keep it focused on saying thanks and goodbye. You never know what you'll meet in future schools and this current Head may be able to help you from a distance. Never heard of an exit interview. Seems enough to say thanks and drive off.

3. oh god NEVER NEVER tell the truth - you'll be hammered in your references for it.
    Just thank for the experience and get out.

4. I agree, say thank you and goodbye. you may need them in the future.

5. As far as I know, you don't have to have your exit interview with the HT. You can request to have it with a governor. You also don't have to have one at all.
    I was honest in mine ... told them why I was leaving and that I would have stayed if staff morale was not so low that it was starting to affect me.
    I also pointed out that so many staff had left before me and hoped that my exit interview would help to explain why.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Why is that any better on your chances of getting a decent reference than doing it with the head? It's not as if the governor isn't going to say who told them.