1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Existing teacher looking to do SENCO post

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by s.greatrix, Apr 12, 2011.

1. I am after some information about how to apply for the role of SENCO. I have been teaching nearly six years and I am currently a subject leader. However, I am very interested and passionate about working within the SEN department. I do not have any specific experience, apart from my general inclusive duties as a classroom teacher. I do not think there is much chance of me changing positions in my current school, and I was wondering how I would go about applying for the role elsewhere?? Does anyone also know how the salary banding works?

2. Thank you for your reply. I am on the first year of a MA in Educational Leadership and Management so hopefully this will be relevant?

3. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Edge Hill University is about to launch a course for aspiring SENCos why don't you contact them and find out more ?

4. You will be required to undertake the National Award for SEN Co-ordination, which counts as credits for a Masters. Does mean reading/studying/essay writing/research alongside the job role and (possibly) a full time teaching role too. Not easy. You have 3 years to take this course though.