1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Exhausted how could school help? Primary

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by bella1981, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bella1981

bella1981 New commenter

I have just returned to work after 5 weeks off ill. This was partly due to sickness and tiredness but also due to fact I was exhausted and fainting with low blood pressure. This had practically stopped during my time off.
    Since I have returned the sickness has returned. The more tired I am the more I am sick. I am also exhausted. It seems the HT has noticed my state at the end of the week and asked me to go away this weekend and think about what the school could do to support me so I do not need to be signed off again. I am not sure what to suggest.
    Has anyone else had their workload or timetable adjusted during pregnancy?
    My school is in special measures so spend all or ppa planning and most of my evenings. We also hand in planning and marked books on a Friday for monitoring so not even as if marking can be left till the weekend. I am currently in at 7.30 am getting ready for the day ahead even though I have been there till 5.30pm the evening before preparing my class for the early morning task and first lesson. Am just about managing to fit in marking one set of books in this time too. Thrursday night I sat down to do the rest of my marking and finish planning for the next week a 7pm. I was so shattered it took my nearly 2 hours to mark one lessons worth of maths (we have to mark all work to targets and suggest next steps in learning). I stopped working at 10.30pm when my partner sent me to bed!
    Sorry for my rant but ended up in tears on Friday because I was so tired. Know paper workload can't be changed but wondering what can give!!!

2. bella1981

bella1981 New commenter

I have just returned to work after 5 weeks off ill. This was partly due to sickness and tiredness but also due to fact I was exhausted and fainting with low blood pressure. This had practically stopped during my time off.
    Since I have returned the sickness has returned. The more tired I am the more I am sick. I am also exhausted. It seems the HT has noticed my state at the end of the week and asked me to go away this weekend and think about what the school could do to support me so I do not need to be signed off again. I am not sure what to suggest.
    Has anyone else had their workload or timetable adjusted during pregnancy?
    My school is in special measures so spend all or ppa planning and most of my evenings. We also hand in planning and marked books on a Friday for monitoring so not even as if marking can be left till the weekend. I am currently in at 7.30 am getting ready for the day ahead even though I have been there till 5.30pm the evening before preparing my class for the early morning task and first lesson. Am just about managing to fit in marking one set of books in this time too. Thrursday night I sat down to do the rest of my marking and finish planning for the next week a 7pm. I was so shattered it took my nearly 2 hours to mark one lessons worth of maths (we have to mark all work to targets and suggest next steps in learning). I stopped working at 10.30pm when my partner sent me to bed!
    Sorry for my rant but ended up in tears on Friday because I was so tired. Know paper workload can't be changed but wondering what can give!!!

3. Ask for your books to be handed in on Monday so you can have the weekend to do it in i.e. take your time with it and can leave school earlier etc.
    Is it all work to targets are just English and Maths - I can not see the requirement for other areas to this as often the objectives change so radically there is no benefit to this apart from showing parents/ofsted that it is being done. Could you use self/peer marking more? (don't mean to be patronising)
    I did not have any time off but was chucking my guts up, running out of lessons etc. I was given extra TA support in the classroom and less duties up until 20 weeks and no duties from 28 weeks onwards.
    Hope you sort this
    x

4. bella1981

bella1981 New commenter

I was off work due to the fainting rather than the chucking up. I just keep leaving room to be sick a couple of times a day.
    As for the marking I did ask if it could be Monday but the HT will not budge on this. Marking must be up to date to inform the children. If they peer mark we are still required to give some sort of feedback. The marking to target is just maths and english but is so time consuming at the mo. It is all towards our pupil progress meetings which are every half term! I have one this week! That will be fun based on one week of teaching since my last meeting!

Thanks for the tips though Bradley10. I feel like I am doing something wrong. All of the staff are exhausted.

5. If he's really wanting to help could he organise cover for extra PPA? Do you do break duty? After school clubs? Could these be taken off you? Do you have assembly in school? Could you get marking done then?

6. HT's drive me nuts with this - the best marking, in my humble opinion is done as the lesson is happening i.e. the children can respond straight away! in other words your HT wants the weekend to look at it - could it be reduced to a target group each week? so at least you could do Friday's over the weekend? I have no problem spending time doing anything that benefits the children but I am not convinced that this is the case with all children - (even time at the start of the next lesson to look at their work - does not necessarily mean they will understand it any better - sorry rant over!)
    you aren't doing anything wrong - I am not surprised all of the staff are exhausted - I agree about assemblies, extra ppa - ask the head to do your duties for you! he he

7. I agree with Bradley, the biggest favour they could do is give you the weekend to mark Friday's work at least, how are they monitoring all books at the weekend for the whole school??
    I have worked in a school in spec measures and currently am a DHT in a very challenging school which does things in a similar way to yours by the sounds of it ....but... , HT listens (occasionally) and is human although if the HT doesn;t give people what they want people come to me and I try to soften her.. If I was your HT I would have given you what you want and need. Do you have a phase group leader you can speak to? Not to undermine the HT but to make them see your case on your behalf?
    How does he?she expect to help you???
    Try to have assemblies/duties covered and ensure that your PPA is not interupted at all and that if you have a curr area that you are given ample Curr release.
    Don't give up!
    AN x