1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exercise tollerance test

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by vikingmaid, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Have had reflux/ulcer p-robs which are being tested but GP also sending for Cardio as he says to rule out heart althought BP good and EEG good last year. Am a bit nervous about it anyone had one?[​IMG]

2. Have had reflux/ulcer p-robs which are being tested but GP also sending for Cardio as he says to rule out heart althought BP good and EEG good last year. Am a bit nervous about it anyone had one?[​IMG]

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I had a heart attack in March so I've had all the tests going.
    There's nothing to an exercise tolerance test... you have a heart monitor strapped on along with a blood pressure cuff and then get tested walking on a treadmill. The speed will get faster and they'll add a slope but you stop when you want to stop. You might also have to do a step test - they use an aerobic step exactly like one you'd see in a step class and you use it to the beat given on a cd. The speed increases in stages.
    They're completely manageable for someone like me who's had a heart attack so you should stop worrying about this. (Could your symptoms be because you're given to worrying more than you need to?)

4. Takes hoes you can walk/run in - not heels or flip flops, trainers are excellent if you have som. Also you will be hot and sweaty afterwards and there are rarely any washing facilities so you might want to take some wet wipes to freshen up afterwards.

You will have 10 electrodes/leads connected to you and they are conected to a box on a belt that goes around your waist so don't wear anything bulky or with a belt. The chest electrodes are in the same position as a standard ECG but the leads that go on your arms and legs will be put on your upper chest and lower belly.

You will be given a hospital gown to wear over the electrodes.

Once wired up they will take a resting ECG and BP.

Then you get to go on the treadmill. There are two most commonly used protocols, Bruce and Balke. Bruce is more common than Balke. The difference is that with the Bruce protocol the treadmill gets faster and the angle of the treadmill increases every three minutes.If they use Balke then there is only one increase in speed but the slop of the treadmill increases every three minutes.
    Walk normally. You wouldn't believe how many people forget how to walk once they are on a treadmill.
    The machine will beat you - it beats eceryone - that's what it is designed to do.

The tech will be monitoring your ECG and taking you BP every three mins, they will keep asking you if you have any symptoms, that does not mean they are seeing anything on the screen it meansthey want to know you are OK.
    If there are any changes on the ECG, your BP goes too high or too low or you are unable to carry on the test stops. The tech will slow down the treadmill and then stop it.

You will then be asked to lie down and be monitored until your BP and heart rate return to normal.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

lol - that was a much more technical description than mine and I'd forgotten (despite it being only about 6 weeks ago) that I had electrodes (3 of which left wee target shaped bruises - damned blood thinners!) - I now know that I had the Bruce protocol so thanks for that information, sash.
    I stopped when my knees got sore - I'm not good at going up hill. I didn't get to lie down though.
    It's not scary though and the technician (I offended her a wee bit by calling her a nurse) explained everything as we went along. I've found everyone involved in cardiac treatment and follow up to be absolutely brilliant.

6. Don't get me started I'll start explaining ST elevation and why you never see atrial repolarisation on an ECG.
    Every female tech has been called a nurse, every male tech has been called Dr.

7. Thanks for all your comments they were very reasurring! Had test today and told all normal, so now to check out the suspected 'ulcer', It would seem more likely symptoms are strss related..can't think why![​IMG]