1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exercise in early pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ditsygirl, Jan 28, 2011.

1. I've just found out I'm pregnant and not sure about exercise. I've heard conflicting advice about gong to the gym. Is it ok? What about zumba classes? I've also heard that swimming is great, but that you shouldn't do breaststroke because of the leg spreading. Sounds a bit far fetched, but I just want to be sure.
    Cheers!

2. I've just found out I'm pregnant and not sure about exercise. I've heard conflicting advice about gong to the gym. Is it ok? What about zumba classes? I've also heard that swimming is great, but that you shouldn't do breaststroke because of the leg spreading. Sounds a bit far fetched, but I just want to be sure.
    Cheers!

3. Hi there, my LO is 12 weeks on mon, I'm a PE teacher so was more concerned than most re exercise. My doc was very anti anything but midwife said to carry on as normal for as long as comfortable. My sports are gym and tramp and I was still cartwheeling and handstanding up until 3 months. I avoided the landing on tummy/back obviously but did basic tramp skills. I swam right up til about 35 weeks. Only ever did breast or back (though towards the end hubby said I looked like loch ness monster on my back). If you are a person who likes to keep fit then I suggest you keep doing it. (incidently my labour was only 3hrs 40, I do think my fitness helped). Many others will tell you to be careful and I would feel awful if anything happend so push it as far as you are comfortable and certainly do not try anything new.
    Massive congrats on your BFP. Can't believe I'm now giving advice!!
    Elasti x

4. I was told that you can continue to exercise, but stick to what you were doing before, its not the toime to start anything new. I continued with my yoga class, it was only once I got past 20wks that I had to make a few changes - eg you shouldn't realy be doing abs exercises or lying on your back for too long. I continued to exercise up to 37 wks. My labour was 5 1/2 hrs so perhaps it helped.

5. Wow I feel sooo lazy! I have the upmost respect for all of you mums-to-be still exercising away. I just have no energy. I have heard this too, keep up with the exercise if that's what you were doing anyway, as your body is used to it. Obviously just don't over do it, you know your body best, so you'll know what feels right.
    Will not doing any exercise at all be a disadvantage to me or baby do you think? I totally understand, not to start anything new but maybe I could start something light if it means it would be to my advantage. I walked to Sainsburys the other day, does that count as exercise?? Hehe.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I would just go swimming, or aquafit, as that's quite gentle. Walking is good too. I live by the sea and take my son for lots of walks along the seafront, or to the park. I think having a toddler is pretty good exercise actually as he's pretty fast! I have to chase him around our flat sometimes just to change his nappy!!
    I've been going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for the past few weeks, and then mainly going for walks. I'd like to go swimming but need to fit that round when i work, and when my husband's on early shift so he can look after our son.
    Did you exercise before? When i got pregnant with my son i'd just lost over 3 stone, so i wanted to avoid putting too much on and just generally keep up with my fitness. Unfortunately I still put on weight and it took me nearly a year to get back into my pre-preg jeans, but I am just unlucky like that. I found that when I went back to the gym when he was 7 weeks old it didn't take me long to get back to my original level of fitness, so that was an advantage. Plus, in a weird way, i think doing all that exercise gave me more energy.

7. I wish I could fit it in- I'm soooo tired all the time and just don't seem to have the time what with working 4 days a week plus having a little one and a house etc. I was pretty fit when I gave birth to her, which helped I think (pushing is HARD) but now am seriously unfit and worried that I won't cope as well physically this time! Will try to go swimming as soon as I have a teeny bit of energy again......

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

You must be at your most tired at the moment Clematis! I was exhausted this time from 6 weeks pregnant onwards and felt really nauseous until about week 16. Now i'm 27 weeks i'm starting to feel exhausted again! We went out for a brief walk this morning, then i went shopping and then I had to come home and lie on the sofa!!
    I only work 2 days one week, 3 the other, so I have chance to go out more. This week for example i've been for a walk and taken my son to the park one day, and another day met a friend with her toddler, and we took them both for a seafront walk on their reins.
    My friend asked me to be her bridesmaid next April, so i am really aware that I will have slightly less than a year after this baby to get back into shape again! I've already seen a leaflet for a personal trainer at my gym who I think I will use!

9. Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy. Feel free to come and join us over on Autumn Babies 2011 when you feel ready.
    I can only second what others have said. Don't take up anything new and take it easy. The only things I'd add would be that you shouldn't overheat and always inform the instructor of the class or gym so that they're aware and can telll you any exercises that you should avoid. Not sure about zumba as there's a lot of hip twisting?
    Just to second the exercise during pregnancy thing, I think it's brilliant. I carried on with the gym and was in there the day before I went into labour (at 41 weeks) as well as pregnancy yoga - that was fab as it gave you time to relax and some good breathing techniques for labour. I jogged until 23 weeks then did uphill powerwalking afterwards (with the odd minute or two of jogging) and managed to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. I think that's one of the main things that kept me going through the 2.5 day labour (he wasn't born til term +10!!)
    Hope that helps. As for ladies thinking of doing exercise, I'd recommend walking, swimming, aquafit (some places do specific antenatal classes) and yoga.
    xxx

10. Agree with doing exercise being great for helping with birth - I ran (well, prob slow jogged to be fair) up until 7 months, walked a fair bit and did yoga for 30 minutes nearly every eve for the last 2 or 3 months (got a great & very cheap DVD from Amazon - really easy to follow and loved it). I also did lots of gentle bouncing on a gym ball for the last month and had a great labour - about 3 hours and she popped out with 3 big pushes. Staying fit is a good idea (if you feel up to it). Best of luck with it all.

11. Damn it, I knew exercise was good for you! I really did use to exercise and loved it, but stopped as gym got expensive and then I just got out of the habit. I'll think of something. The DVD's sound good, as I can do that at home and in my own time. Any suggestions?

12. 'Yoga for Me and My Baby' £2.99 with free delivery from Amazon. I'd never done exercise by following a DVD before, but loved it. After a week I pretty much knew the 40 minute pregnancy yoga workout, but kept the DVD on. Really chilled me out.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Me-My-Baby-DVD/dp/B001LM6X2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296401577&sr=8-2

13. Thanks for the link Rubyblue, am seriously considering this, i'm going to browse for other ones too or wait to see if anyone else has got any recommendations too and then buy them in one go. OH is going to set up the wii fit for me and i'll try motivate myself to do it!
    Thanks ditsygirl for starting this thread!

14. We took LO swimming today. I did two lengths of the 20 m pool- yes TWO lengths of the 20 METRE pool- and really felt fatigued afterwards. I know it's because I'm in the exhausting early stages (8 weeks) but as soon as I shift the exhaustion i really need to up my fitness. Like I said- was fit when i had first LO- loads of gym, yoga etc- but have all but stopped since having her a year ago!! Argh!

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We took our son for a walk today along the seafront and onto the beach, and I felt exhausted when we got back! I feel really huge at the moment, like a massive whale! I guess the beach was the right place for me! I'd been planning on going to the gym this afternoon, but I was just too tired.
    I'm hoping that I will still have some of my fitness. I went back to the gym/personal training/aerobics when my son was 7 weeks old and basically continued 4 or 5 times a week until I was 6 weeks pregnant this time, so i'd been doing regular exercise again for just over a year. When I went to the gym the other day I managed 30 mins on the stepper with no problem, and then the bike and walking on the treadmill, so i'm hoping i'll be ok.

16. I forgot to say, I didn't do any exercise for the 3 months for no other reason than that I felt too tired and sick. Even walking up the stairs felt like hard work!! Just do it when (if) you are through the first grotty stage!

17. *for the first 3 months

18. I wish I could do some exercise! I've gone from being a regular exerciser to doing next to nothing as I've got major mobility issues - and I really miss it! Have managed a little swim this weekend, but it's not very comfortable doing so. [​IMG]

19. I know the feeling para. Hope you're feeling ok? OH has now set up the Wii fit. It looks very interesting here from the sofa. How do I switch it on? Ah well i'd rather get a bag of crisps!

20. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We used to have a Wii fit but sold it. I was just using it to weigh myself as I got bored with the exercises and preferred the gym!
    I am so, so exhausted at the moment, just been lying in bed for a couple of hours unable to drag myself out. I don't remember being this shattered in my last pregnancy. I just want some energy to go to the gym!