1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exercise group anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Jul 2, 2015.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I went swimming earlier in the week and ended up joining the leisure centre for swimming, gym and exercise classes. The hot sunny day did help and was the main reason I went in the first place. I also walk and sometimes cycle, but not for ages. I mainly want to tone up and get fitter but laziness and motivation is my problem. Anyone fancy forming a motivation group. All fitness levels, body sizes welcome. Whether you can only walk a few steps or 100 miles.

I'm going for my gym induction today, which doesn't really interest me. I might use the running machines or cycles sometimes, but weights bore me silly. After I have been shown around I am going for another 30 min swim. I also want to do pilates and other stuff to strengthen my core muscles as I have bad lower back pain.

If we start to get fit now and in the habit, we might be able to keep going during the cold winter months, even if it is just a regular walk around the block. I joined a netball club last year, which i loved even though i was ****, but work commitments got in the way.

2. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Well done MMC! Post your progress. I swim and walk and do some exercise at home but think a group would help inspire me to do a bit more.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What about classes? Can you do yoga or pilates or something like that. It's much easier to stay motivated when you've booked a class and if you keep it up you can really build up flexibility and strength and even I have better muscle tone than I had.

Good luck with the gym. I did that for years while i was still working and it was good - basic but good. I could go on a Sunday morning early which was the best time for me and I just kept it up - on the whole!

4. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I am terribly obese and have hardly done any exercise for years. I have been going to a Circuit Light class at the local gym which I felt I could try because a lot of old(er) people go - I am the youngest there. It was originally started for people who had had heart problems, but then they opened it up to more people. TBH I find it a bit boring and think I would rather do something more strenuous but for a shorter time (it is for an hour). But it is better than nothing - which is what I would be doing otherwise.

I have just started going to Dancercise this month - encouraged by members of my weighloss club who are all a lot younger than I am. The class is only small so I don't feel intimidated. COULDN'T BEAR to go swimming - no costume anyway.

Thing is, I have such a lot of weight to lose and so much fitness to gain, it seems like an impossible journey. [​IMG]

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

No, don't give up. Try walking, to begin with. One or two miles a day at first, building up to two or three. Once or twice a week, four or five. You'll soon build up stamina and surprise yourself with how much more fit you feel.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I enjoyed going to the gym, yoga, bums and tums and swimming. Then we moved, there was no gym in the chain nearby and I couldn't get out of the contract.

Now I walk because it's free! I walked five miles yesterday and try to walk three or four times a week. We've just restarted the 5-2 as well. I have a Fitbit that tells me how many miles/calories/ minutes of exercise I've burned/ done.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Think in terms of one mile taking twenty minutes. That's a good rate.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Any motivation is a good idea. I have a week left to do on a 9 week challenge on a personal trainer game on the Wii. You have to do a 40 minute workout 4 times a week. I missed several due because I stopped when I had an ear infection but I am determined to finish it off. I nearly died doing it in the heat yesterday!

I row twice a week anyway and want to do some extra sessions in a scull over the summer.

I am still debating joining a gym for August. I can't get there in term time, when I am home I need to be with my dogs so I use the Wii or the exercise bike, but they have a £28 for 28 days offer over the summer. I need to check if there are classes I like the sound of on at convenient times.

I do a fair bit of walking with the three dogs. The two old boys can't manage to walk very far now but tiring out my little 22 month old whippet cross is a challenge. It is tricky to get the right balance for the three of them.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't like walking for the sake of it these days.

I do like walking when I'm looking for geocaches though. Might interest you?

10. marymoocow

Keep going Kitty. I watched the aqua aerobics class whilst I waited for my gym induction. During the day it was made up of older ladies of all shapes and sizes and seemed quite a gentle class. I used to go to one years ago and loved it. Very good for joints and taking the strain. We had lots of very overweight women in the class and no one batted an eyelid. If anything everyone admired them for doing it. Lots of pools have women only sessions so you don't have to feel self conscious. Although you still have a dash to the pool, at least no one can see you once you are under the water.

I found the instructors very helpful and knowledgeable. There were all sizes in the gym and they were very encouraging with people who were very overweight.

I took my gym kit to the induction just in case I wanted to have a go afterwards, but really only intended going for a swim. I ended up being blown away by the equipment and variety as well as the staff. Afterwards I changed into my gym clothes for a session as the pool had an exercise class going on. I did feel a bit self conscious so went on the cross trainer first as I knew how to use it. Big mistake. I went quite fast and felt like I was dying after 5 mins so stopped. My legs were like jelly afterwards.

I then decided to try the running or in my case brisk walking machine. I found it quite hard to keep my balance so had to hold onto the bars. But I kept upping the pace until I had to run for 5 mins and did a 30 min brisk walk in total. They have these programmes where you can watch an actual journey as you walk, run, cycle etc as if you are doing it. It felt as though the ground was moving when I waked across the gym though, not helped by its striped carpet, a very bizarre feeling.

After a quick shower, I then did 30 mins and 20 lengths of the pool, very relaxing, even though school swimming lessons were going on in one half! I used to hate swimming, but think it is because I always went with someone. I rediscovered it when off with WRS and now love it as it just empties your mind.

I am going to sign up for aqua and pilates. I did fancy trying the indoor cycling class which a friend goes to and is high intensity but not too long. However having seen one when I was leaving, I don't think I am quite ready for that and is definitely one to go to with a friend!

I do walk a lot but don't like going alone and my walking partner is often on holiday. She is also elderly so slows me down a bit. I tried taking my friends dogs out but they **** for England and didn't like picking up after them. The trouble with walking as opposed to hiking, is that if it is too hot like now or too cold and wet, I tend to chicken out. At least the gym is dry and air conditioned, bliss on a day like this.

Has anyone else done anything today? What are you going to do next Bombay. I admire you doing it 4x a week, that takes some commitment. I am aiming for twice a week, maybe more often when on holiday. When we go away my OH and son get up early to use the hotel gym whilst my daughter and I have a lie in. I think he might be quite shocked this year because I think we will both be joining them. At least sometimes anyway. A holiday isn't a holiday without a few lazy lie ins.

I declare the TES exercise club open.[​IMG]

11. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Keep going kittylion! Over the past year or so I've watched a lady walk regularly up and down my road and she has lost a stack of weight. I don't know what else she's done to lose it, but the walking is obviously a help. There's now a man in tow too!!

Good luck!

I'm also very obese and should do something. I'm always putting it off until ...... I heard someone on TV the other day - a counsellor - who said he'd spent years telling people they will only change their habits when they make the change themselves, then realised that's just what he needed to do, and did it. I need to do the same.

12. marymoocow

Have you got somewhere to walk to near you gerbil. I used to watch a lady walking on the way to walk for a couple of years. It really helped her loose weight.

13. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.

I keep saying I will go out walking - then the hot weather put me off, and before that it was the rain lol. But I really will try.

I have been told two different things. One is that I should do 30 mins exercise every day and the other that I should do it 3 times a week. I work on two days, so after doing the penguin dance with years 3-5 three times in an afternoon, feel I have done a bit of a work-out.

God knows what I must look like, but KS2 are comfortingly non-judgmental.

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtPMTEPFug]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtPMTEPFug

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'll join in, Mary!

For decades I was slim and fit. I've piled on two stones in the last couple of years and I hate it. I really need to get fit again. I hate being lardy.

Foxtail, I didn't know you were a walker. Lots of lovely places to walk around your way and up in the hills.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I could swim at about 2.00pm. It feels quite appealing atm. I'll let you know if I make it.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Walked through Slindon Woods on Wednesday GLsg! Just a small corner mind- about five miles, according to my Fitbit, which is now sulking and refuses to engage with me.

Lunch at a little community shop *** cafe- delicious!

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Mainly though, it's cos it's free!

18. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Are those Fitbits any good, Foxtail?

19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I have to admit that, unless the weather is really glorious, I found walking rather boring, especially when covering the same old ground. We don't live far from the Grand Union Canal. which is a nice walk in the summer but the tow path gets water-logged for most of the year. Most of the walkers I met had a dog with them.

I get on better with cycling, as I can make the exercise of riding serve a purpose, like getting shopping or going someone that is less accessible by car or public transport. If there is somewhere you can cycle 'off road', so much the better.

20. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I walk with a group of health walkers. There are lots of groups. In our area there is a walk everyday. You walk with someone at your own speed. There are leaders, one at the back and one in front. I do the sunday 10am one. Finishes at 10.45 the you can stay for coffee. It's a really good scheme. If doesn't take too much time and is free.