1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exercise Classes

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by akz, Aug 8, 2012.

1. akz

akz New commenter

I have set myself a bit of a challenge over this holiday due to my other half being a bit laid up at the moment. The plan is to try as many different exercise classes as possible to make an informed decision about which I would like to continue after the summer.

So far I have tried power pilates (adult ballet really), box-a-circuit, spinning (I have done this before and love the endorphine rush), zumba, yoga and have step and tone booked for tonight.

Does anyone do any classes regularly and what would you recommend for some fitness experimentation?

2. akz

akz New commenter

I have set myself a bit of a challenge over this holiday due to my other half being a bit laid up at the moment. The plan is to try as many different exercise classes as possible to make an informed decision about which I would like to continue after the summer.

So far I have tried power pilates (adult ballet really), box-a-circuit, spinning (I have done this before and love the endorphine rush), zumba, yoga and have step and tone booked for tonight.

Does anyone do any classes regularly and what would you recommend for some fitness experimentation?

3. Until last year I did:
    Body combat - brilliant fun, makes you feel on top of the world after a session and burns about 600-1000 calories an hour. (Downside, punching thin air has probably been the cause of me aggravating an old injury which has completely disabled me at the moment - never punch to full extension)
    Body pump - again great but go easy on the weights and build up very slowly.
    Body balance - All round fantastic for everything - a mix of power yoga and pilates, it is quite fast moving but relaxing at the same time.
    Yoga - as above, but as you are doing that you know.
    Pilates - same.
    Aqua-jog - great laugh and surprisingly hard work.
    Zumba - See aqua-jog. I couldn't quite get the hang of it but it was still fun.
    I was doing about 11 hours a week before the injury - gradually had to cut down and can't even do yoga at the moment. I am looking forward to getting my shoulder diagnosed and sorted out so I can get back to it.
    Sorry to hear that your OH is still laid up - hope he's better soon.

4. akz

akz New commenter

Sorry to hear about your injury. It is awful to be in pain but even more so when you are used to being active and are forced to stop. I get quite depressed quite quickly if I cannot run or cycle.

Well the box-a-circuit certainly seems to push me as I have been waddling around all day with DOMS in my abs and butt. I was able to go for a run this morning but it has gradually got more painful as the day goes on. I usually don't mind the 'DOMSY' feeling as it shows that muscles are working but I certainly feel like I went for it.

Hopefully I will still be able to do the step and tone tonight without keeling over.

Body combat sounds good.

5. In addition to emily's suggestions: bootcamp (usually a good, fast, hard workout); toning or legs, bums & tums type classes (either with or without the swiss ball - great for developing your core and the other bits being targeted); and aquarobics classes.
    Often you will find the aqua classes tend to attract middle-aged/older ladies but they can be a really good workout if you put in the effort. Also they are a little more sociable and you can have a chat and make friends more easily than in some of the big workout classes.
    I did what you are doing and finally settled on 5 different types of classes (although I do some of them twice a week). I have a couple of social circles at the gym now that include people who attend the same classes, and those who swim at the same time. It makes it much easier to motivate yourself when you know that someone is expecting you to turn up and will pleased to see you there.

6. akz

akz New commenter

I'm a bit scared of the aqua classes largely because of the older ladies thing that I have seen. I am not sure I can get fired up enough to give it my all in fear of accidently punching a grannie.

I'm usually pretty good on motivation, at least for the cardio, but I am terrible when it comes to sticking with any kind of strength work. I'm hoping this will be where the classes come in.

7. Classes definitely made it easier.
    I know what you mean about the grannies - I did used to get a bit irritated when I was trying to overtake a group of them dawdling and gossiping.
    My shoulder would probably be sorted by now if the blooming doctor would send me to the right consultant. I've started going to a private physio as I've been waiting for about 12 weeks to get an NHS appointment and haven't heard a dicky bird. It is probably going to end up being something really straight forward and I'll be back in the gym by Christmas [​IMG] (I'm not very good at optimism - I'm trying to practice!)
    Any ideas of anything I can do with a dysfunctional right side in the meantime?

8. I had bilateral shoulder impingement syndrome (bursitis) due to over-training and increasing the weights too quickly - foolish thing that I am! To be honest it took a good 12 months to get back to normal, even with weekly physio (private).
    I continued to swim daily as that didn't aggravate it particularly but had to drop all weight lifting, boxing and anything that involved raising my arms above shoulder height (lifting to put stuff in the cupboard or stretching around my back to fasten a bra!) or putting weight through my shoulders (press ups). I got really good at squats and steps though!
    Has your physio given you any exercises to do at home? I wouldn't pin all your hopes on the Consultant though, they tend to go for either physio or surgery as the answer to everything.

9. Thanks for that dinx - At the moment this has been over 12 months and I haven't even found out what is causing it.
    I've got loads of movement in the shoulder - the last physio I saw was concerned about the level of hyper-mobility, but it is causing constant pain. It is also affecting the nerves to my hand which is causing muscle wastage, coordination problems and circulation problems in my right hand. There isn't any nerve or blood vessel damage but my hand goes blue or white and cold intermittently and I sometimes lose all the feeling in some fingers -a bit like the feeling you get in your face after having an injection at the dentist. It's also had a knock on effect and is causing stiffness down my right side from my face to my foot - sort of like a domino effect.
    I can't manage to swim or even do yoga because of it - walking quickly causes a lot of pain. I can't reliably pick up a full cup in my right hand unless I jam my elbow into my side, but I then end up doing a Quasimodo like sideways shuffle.
    I've got a physio appointment on Saturday morning and I'm hoping that I will get some exercises that will help - at least then I'll know what I should and shouldn't be doing - I'm constantly trying to keep stretched to counter the muscle spasms but I don't know if that's aggravating it. It is very frustrating as I just want to get on with things. I'm normally really active and tend to ignore minor injuries and carry on but this has stopped me. It's more frustrating than the 3 months I spent in a wheelchair during my last pregnancy.

10. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Emilyisobel, you have maybe said and I missed it, but I was just wondering if you have had your shoulder xrayed or more importantly scanned?
    An MRI scan will be able to tell you quite clearly what damage has been done, and whether there is a soft tissue injury or whether there is a problem with the joint.
    I would imagine that the physio will probably give you an exercise programme, which will involve strengthening the ligaments around your shoulder joint. What often happens with hypermobility is that you end up using the wrong muscles/ligaments and this leads to weakening to the muscles/ligaments around your actual shoulder. What can also happen is that in exercise involving your shoulder, you will also ending up hyperextending the joint and this will then cause strain on the muscles and ligaments, resulting in painl. Obviously, if your shoulder isn't stable, the movement can result in putting pressure on a nerve, which is why you are having loss of sensation in your arm/hand. You really do need to be careful with this, as prolongednerve compression can lead to problems.
    An exercise programme, will concentrate on actually strengthening the muscles/ligaments around your shoulder joint specifically, helping you to stabilise them.
    You may also require splinting of your shoulder from time to time, to give it support when you are doing exercise. Some physios don't aprrove of this because they say it weakens the muscles/ligaments. But if you have hypermobility in the joint, then you can argue that your muscles/ligaments are never going to be as strong as they should be.
    My daughter's Hand OT recently spoke to us about "lycra garments" sometimes called second skins. These are a bit like the shorts you see runners etc wearing under their shorts. Basically they provide support for the sore/hypermobile joint and help reduce hyperextension which reduces pain. You don't need to wear them all the time, but are good when the joint is very sore, or when you know you are going to be using it.If you google lycra garments, you will find some information about them.
    Surgery will usually be a last resort, when exercise etc isn't working.
    Physios can also offer various treatments such as ultrasound, heat treatments or acupuncture to help alleviate the pain/discomfort.
    I have had acupuncture for pain in my ankle and it does work.
    I was just wondering also if it just your shoulder joint which displays signs of hypermobility or if you have it in any other joints.
    I don't know whether pain killers actually help with your pain or not. Alternating hot or cold packs can help, or some people prefer just heat or cold. Positioning your arm/shoulder is also important and you may find that some positions are more comfortable than others.
    It is also generally recommended to improve your core strength, to let the big abdominal muscles take some of the load. Many of us tend not to use these as we should, which contributes to back, neck, shoulder, hip, knee pain etc. Pilates is an excellent way of doing this.
    Avoid anything which puts a repetitive strain on your shoulder and do it for a short time only.
    I hope some of this might help. I am happy to try and help you in any other way I can.

11. Hi Doglover - Thank you for taking the time to post this. [​IMG]
    I have had an x-ray - I can't remember exactly but I think it went as far to the side as my shoulder, but it was a hands on hips job with the shoulders lifted as it was mainly to check for a cervical rib. It didn't show any bone problems. I also had a CT scan, but again it was just looking for bone abnormalities. The doctor who sent me for it had ordered and MRI on the shoulder and brachial plexus area but the radiographer decided to change it to the CT and then they found they couldn't use the contrast dye on me. I've also had an MRI angiogram to look at the blood vessels and nerve tests. So far nothing but there has been no attempt to look at the soft tissuess in that area.
    My neck, shoulders, hips, ankles, wrists, fingers and right knee are all very flexible, but my elbows seem pretty stable. This has only happened since I was pregnant and had severe SPD. When I was younger it took a lot of hard work to get to do the splits etc. so I don't think it is something that I was born with, although my sister has hypermobility that has only recently been diagnosed. I don't have muscle laxity like some of the students I teach that have ED syndrome and I don't dislocate. My upper back where my ribs join on and my hips and shoulders crunch and click when I stretch, but I have had arthritis ruled out. Until this got too bad I did a lot of pilates and have really strong core muscles and I do find that I am using my abdominal muscles but also the trapezius and scalene muscles to hold the shoulder up - these muscles have shortened and become very painful as they go completely into spasm, which then moves to the next muscle and so on - I can do a fantastic Quasimodo impression! Sometimes I wonder whether I've got a mix of **** ligaments and overly strong muscles and that's causing the problem. I've always put on muscle very easily and very often get muscle twitches and some of my muscles don't much like being stretched.
    I have to take strong co-codomol and muscle relaxants. I do also use hot and cold to try to get some relief from it. I find TENS just makes the muscles spasm.When I'm walking I keep my hand in my pocket as it takes some of the strain off it. I spent too long at the computer yesterday and I'm paying for it today - the nerves seem to get irritated and then it doesn't take much to set them off.
    I've got my first proper session with my new physio this Saturday - I'll let you know what he suggests. He did say about taping last time I went - I'm just hoping that he can get the right muscles working as I really don't want surgery as I am somewhat squeamish. I have had osteopathy and acupuncture on it and neither has helped - in fact the acupuncture made it spasm really badly for days! It may be because of my fear of needles - what a wuss!
    I'll ask the physio about the lycra - just something to take the pressure off my neck muscles would help a lot.
    Thank you very much to both you and Dinx - it is very kind of you both xx
    Akz - I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope you are enjoying the exercising xx

12. I just hope you can get it sorted emily! Let us know how you get on with the new physio.

13. Thank you - I will do. [​IMG]

14. To OP in answer to original question

I love my Boxercise class. Also Core Stability.
    I also enjoy Zumba, Yoga, Pilates and Spinning- Im a bit addicted to exercise at min (not that you could telly from my tubby frame but thats another story!)
    I did try hulahooping which was good fun but I was rubbish at it (by far the worst in the class so that soon went by the wayside).
    I am starting 'Bokwa in September- supposed to be amazing so fingers crossed.
    Also if you are looking for something that produces real results and fitness and challenging check out Crossfit....Id love to get into that but it is quite expensive from what I have researched and can't afford it at minute but its one Im definitely keeping in mind.

15. I did some hulahooping a couple of years ago with very heavy hoops - great fun but bruises like you wouldn't believe.

16. I had a peculiar physio session - apparently my motor movement in my neck, right arm and eyes is very odd. The physio thinks it may be related to a whiplash type injury from years ago that is affecting the signal from muscles to my brain. I've no balance with my eyes closed and my eye movement is jerky in tracking.I've got some neck exercises and have to practice tracking a pen with my eyes and then see if there is any improvement in 10 days.

17. You do sound like an interesting case, emily! Although I think I said that earlier... Just curious but do you have any dyslexic type difficulties?

18. Some very mild ones - like forgetting words, misreading words when I'm tired but nothing that has ever caused a real problem. I find mental adding and subtraction a bit slow, which is a pain for a maths teacher. I've always put it down to having an eclamptic fit when my son was born - I had to relearn my times tables and have had long term memory problems since then. The jerky movement thing is recent though.

19. It's just that I remember, from way back when, astronauts who had spent a long time in space developed dyslexic type difficulties and it was linked to difficulties with balance (or lack of it) and co-ordinating movements, like standing on one leg with eyes closed and arms out. I've looked to see if I can find an article about it but haven't found one yet.

20. That's odd! Thank you. I didn't even get to standing on one leg, just turning my head to the right and then closing my eyes is enough to make me fall over. Even standing straight with my eyes closed is a battle - I have to really tense up all my core muscles to keep my balance. All my right side movements are jerky - I hadn't noticed before. I knew that I had an imbalance but just put it down to having a wonky knee and hip on the right which does throw me a bit to one side. I've no backward or sideways strength in my right arm either - that's definitely recent as my right arm is the stronger one usually and I used to be able to do tricep exercises, including dips without any difficulty just over a year ago.