1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exercise Books in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by alisonhill100, May 31, 2012.

1. I would like your opinion on Reception children working in exercise books.
    At the moment our Reception children have Literacy and Numeracy books as well as a Big Write Book and then their Learning Journeys book. I will be the FSL from Sept and am keen to get rid of Lit and Num books (a few local schools I've linked up with don't use them) and just have the Learning Journey folders and a Big Write book.
    What do other people have?

2. I would like your opinion on Reception children working in exercise books.
    At the moment our Reception children have Literacy and Numeracy books as well as a Big Write Book and then their Learning Journeys book. I will be the FSL from Sept and am keen to get rid of Lit and Num books (a few local schools I've linked up with don't use them) and just have the Learning Journey folders and a Big Write book.
    What do other people have?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We do have a writing book but don't use it every week. It's handy to be able to see progress in one book, from scribble on the first page to legible writing at the end. These books are handed on to year one. There isn't much recorded maths until this term, this is kept in a poly pocket. Everything else is kept in their own folder with their photo on the front. This goes home at the end of the year. We also have Letters and Sounds books which they stick each new phoneme in and these go home each night. We don't do Learning Journeys as such.

4. Hi
    we have a 'My Sound Book' with sounds/actions as a link between home and school for children to practise, also put Tricky Words in.
    only other book is a 'My Writing Book' that we started in Feb to practise writing sounds, then words and dictated sentences. There is a small amount of independent writing in the books.
    Our Learning Journeys are used to collect/record childrens observations etc
    as new FS leader I've focussed on sp + l and phonics/reading this year.
    will be interested to hear what others do

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we have just one book for AD stuff, then they have a 'private writing' book that they can use for whatever they want. they also have a book to go home with sounds and words in.

6. I like the sound of the Letters and Sounds book InkyP - how is this done? Is it just an exercise book or something bought in/printed off?
    Forgot to add, we were also going to introduce a Home Book which will have activities linked to the 3 prime areas (i.e. talk about ______ with your child and note down their responses, practise pencil grip on the maze etc)

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

They are just small spellings/vocabulary type books and the children stick in their own letters from the Jolly Phonics handbook as they learn them.