1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Executive Summary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by danielfoster144, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have been trawling the forums looking for some advice about applying for jobs and filling out application forms. I have had 2 interviews so far both from NQT teaching pools and I have not been shortlisted for any of my applications yet, so I am assuming that my personal statement and form is not up to scratch.
    One thing that keeps cropping up on the forums is an executive summary. I have searched and searched and I can't find out what one is and how to go about writing one. Any advice or info would be great, from the info I have gained it sounds pretty important to make my application stand out.

Thanks in advance Dan.

2. thattallteacher

thattallteacher New commenter

Top of forum
    FAQ
    How to get short listed
    Good luck

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

4. I too am confused. Can someone please confirm to me where exactly you would put this summary, cos it does seem like a good idea. I have tried to answer my own questions with the really useful page on applications by Theo but I am still not sure what goes where.
    Basically, I consider myself to be an intelligent person but also one who uses that intelligence to do things efficiently. Consequently, I am trying to figure out whether you really need three separate pieces of extended writing...
    1) The Personal Statement or Supporting Info or Additional Info as specified on the form. But never, obviously, with the same title on every application form. This usually has a description along the lines of

800x600

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

Please support your
    application with a statement in which you explain how you meet the requirements
    of the post as described in the person specification
    . Explain what you have to
    offer in terms of your experience, skills and knowledge gained in relevant
    unpaid or voluntary work, study or training.
    2) A covering letter, attached as a separate document, (so not really covering anything in these electronic days) explaining...not sure, but I think just telling them about why you want to work there and why you personally are marvellous.
    3) The executive summary grid. This seems to then explain how you meet the requirements of the post decribed in the person specification, giving examples of your experience, skills and knowledge. Now, where have I done that before...?...
    So, can this please be bullet point clarified for me once and for all, how much am I writing, about what and where?
    Thank you. Applications going into double figures, 2 interviews and an increasing desire to pack up and volunteer to teach slum kids in Venezuela...

5. So, two things,
    Apologies for the weird copy and paste html nonsense up there, not sure what happened but that'll larn me not to preview.
    I've done even more scooting around the forum and think I have cleared things up re the letters, statements,obituaries etc... Or at least well enough to take another punt.
    Covering letter = letter of application and will be like the personal statement I have previously put on the form and will tell in lovely words why I am lovely and it would be lovely to have me
    App form all filled in including exec summary under the heading of personal/supporting statement
    And that's it. I think.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Read all the clickables inside the Welcome thread - the FAQs explain the difference between some of the things. The terminology is sometimes confused so it's not surprising that applicants get confused too.
    You should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread for difference between cover letter and application letter
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there
    Doing an executive summary has worked time and time again for posters. When I meet Heads, they often say "I can tell when someone has been listening to your advice, because they do this lovely E.S. that makes it so easy to see that they fit our criteria"
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. Theo please help! I've been using an exec summary in my job applications for the last few I have sent but on the most recent job I want to apply for the Head has written a little info pack and talks about what to send (covering letter) etc
    It states that :

In addition to the application form applicants are invited to submit a letter in support of their application addressing the criteria outlined in the Person Specification (preferably in the order set out in the person specification).
    No other documentation (including CV?s) should be sent other than the completed application form and letter of application.

Does this mean I shouldn't send an exec summary in? I don't want to annoy the head so would rather send one if there's even a change the Head will see this as "other documentation".

What would you advise?

Thanks in advance!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Could you do what others have had to do when sending elctronically and not letting them post in a table? In your" letter in support of their application addressing the criteria outlined
    in the Person Specification (preferably in the order set out in the
    person specification)"
    use subheadings and then short bullet point answers for how you fit their criteria?