1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Executive Summary, paraphrasing?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Apr 8, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can I summarise/paraphrase the points on the person spec? They have massively long winded points which take up a lot of space.

E.G.

Ability to use a range of data (in-school, local and national), on
    attainment and progress to identify and target areas for
    improvement and set ambitious expectations for pupil
    achievement and a clear vision of how this will be brought about as
    part of whole school improvement.

is just one point...of many.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And, question 2 now:

Do I include every way in which I meet each point?

My statement in the application form will address the points on the job description and what was requested in the letter to applicants. So the exec summary is the only place the person spec. points will be addressed.

I seem to have done too much and have too much to write.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sorry, I used to be good at writing applications, now I seem to have lost all clue!

Question 3!

If a particular piece of experience (is that the right term?) fits several points in the person spec, do I mention it more than once?

Or in the, seriously needed, guise of space saving, do I just mention it once in whichever point has most space?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can only see one post at a time when trying to reply . . .
    Yes, course you can! If you look back at the example on the How To Get Shortlisted clickable, those are not what they said, they are condensed, and if necessary grouped.
    Use of data for whole-school raising of achievement
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Number 2:
    Can you not prioritise, summarise and group there too? I mean, instead of writing everything, choose the main ones (those most important to them probably), then see if they can be grouped or condensed.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Only include it twice if there is nothing else for either of the points, so as not to leave something unanswered.
    Best wishes

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant, thank you. I knew it couldn't be as hard and long winded as it seemed!