1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

executive summary for a very long person spec

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've never written an executive summary before - and I have an application that has a person spec that's nearly 3 pages long!
    Is it possible to create an exec summary for this or will it be too over the top? (It's for an assistant head post) I can't think how to "trim it down" so to speak.
    thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sparkly - I've answered this question on your post on JobSeekers.
    On Saturday 19th February we are doing a special Weekend Workshop in London on Getting a SLT post, and that will look at how to write an executive summary for a Leadership post, but I guess that will be too late for the application that you're doing now. So I hope my advice on JS will be of use to you.
    Best of luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!

3. A 3 page person spec is just stupid. It will almost definitely deter a lot of potentially excellent applicants who either haven't got the time to address an overlong list or cannot see how they can do so within the usual limit of 2 pages of A4. And I don't blame them.
    Selection committees that produce these sorts of person specs need a reality check imo.

4. Papermonster required.