1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

executive summary - for a very long person spec?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've never written an executive summary before - and I have an application that has a person spec that's nearly 3 pages long!
    Is it possible to create an exec summary for this or will it be too over the top? (It's for an assistant head post) I can't think how to "trim it down" so to speak.
    thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

<font size="2">For a SLT post, you can go to 2 sides, although if you can do it 1 side, that's better.</font>
    <font size="2">Trim it by selecting what are the essentials; what do you think is most important for the school and the Governors? Your choice of things to prioritise in this way will tell them a lot about you.</font>
    <font size="2">Trim it also by grouping things together; you don't anyway usually want all their words as a summary is much better. Often two things can be summarised in one.</font>
    Doing the exec summary before you write your application letter gets you focussed on exactly waht the school wants, so it's a useful exercise in more ways than one.
    Look forward to seeing you then!