1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Executive summary: evidence of sense of humour?!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by FriarLawrence, Apr 30, 2019.

1. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

I'm doing an ES for a HOD position I'm applying for. One of the essential characteristics is a sense of humour. How are you supposed to evidence that? I'm half tempted to write "none".

You know - as a joke. ;)

But seriously - how can you address something as subjective as this on an ES?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's the sort of thing HR people dream up as a desirable personal characteristic, usually by HR people who don't have one :) Plain daft in my view, and virtually impossible even to define, let alone test for in applications and interviews.

The cynic in me sometimes wonders if it's a red flag that the school is such a disaster area you need a sense of humour to survive it. A variation on the weak old joke about "You don't have to be mad to work here but it helps".

But you have a form to complete. Simply asserting you have a good sense of humour won't get you very far. My approach would be to give examples of your use of humour to improve your teaching. Perhaps how you use it to help deal with poor behaviour? In an application form actual examples from your own practice to illustrate what you mean are more powerful than generalised statements.

How using humour appropriately has helped you be a better teacher, not how you can be the life and soul of the staff room after a couple of beers!

And never never be tempted to tell a joke at interview....

3. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

Ah, @Rott Weiler thanks so much - I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

As it goes, I might collapse that part of the spec into the part about "enthusiasm and energy" and deal with them together. It's a very long PS, so I'm looking for reasons to combine bits to shorten it a little.

Thanks a lot :)

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

And good luck with the application!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck :)

6. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

You know those situations when you ask a question and the pure randomness of what the children say is totally unexpected? I think they mean in those situations.

spot on.

7. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Totally agree with what @Rott Weiler said:
    How using humour appropriately has helped you be a better teacher, not how you can be the life and soul of the staff room after a couple of beers!

And never never be tempted to tell a joke at interview....

(the advice about avoiding the temptation to tell a joke during an interview made me chuckle).