1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Executive summary and personal statements

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by samj88, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am an NQT and have been reading your application advice and it all sounds extremely useful! However i am just slightly confused.
    I understand that I need to send an application statement which relates my experience to their person specification. However, I want to send an executive summary in also, is this instead of a personal statement or as well as? Within my personal statement I am writing why I am applying for the post, my experience and skills and my vision for promoting high standards. but the more i read on here the more i feel that this is not necessary, is this a longer version of an executive summary??
    Sorry I am just slightly confused and do not want to send in too many sheets. So far it would be....
    1) The application form
    2) Covering letter (saying what i have enclosed)
    3) an executive summary
    4) Personal Statement
    5) application Statement.

I know this is a lot! That is why I am confused.
    Thank you for your help!!! [​IMG]
    Sam

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip for next time: put Dear Theo on the OUTSIDE, as part of your title. I usually don´t open threads just on the offchsnce it says D T inside . . .
    Yes, you are completely correct - that is too much.
    I
    4 and 5 are the same thing. Could be an application letter instead, so you won´t need 2. I suggest putting 3 (exec summary) as the third page of an application letter or statement, so it gets printed out automatically. Although if there is a big enough space on the form for it, put the exec summary in there.
    Have another read of the shortlisting clickables - and the FAQs - to get it clear.
    If you are still feeling unsure about how to set about writing a stunning application, perhaps you should be signing up for 14 May.
    You know, don´t you, that so far this year there has been between one third and quarter fewer jobs advertised? that hordes pof NQTs from 2010, 2009 and even 2008 are still not in induction posts and are out on the streets competing with you? That there are teacher redundancies beginning now?
    You must do the best you can to get that application perfect - read all the advice!
    Best wishes to you!
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thank you so much for your help!
    I am looking into the seminar :)
    Your advice is extremely helpful!

4. Also......
    Sorry i know this may sound obvious but do they prefer applications not to be stapled when they are posted?
    Thanks!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

"do they prefer applications not to be stapled when they are posted?"
    My authority always supplies stapled applications but I know they are usually taken apart for photocopying if you're invited for interview, so when I print off my own I use a paper clip.