1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Executive Head Teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WJClarkson, Mar 4, 2016.

1. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

Please could someone tell me what an Executive Head is and how their role differs from a Head Teacher? I have seen them listed on a lot of school websites but have never encountered one myself.

Many thanks :)

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

They get paid a lot more.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Real leather patches.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

They're the big boys or girls, in charge of the people in charge of the school. They're usually a 'successful' head, drafted in with someone of their choosing to be the nominal head, after the previous incumbent has 'left.'

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

An executive head teacher can work in one school which is based on different sites,(eg an infant and a Junior school.) Each school will also have its own headteacher and deputies. An executive Headteacher will be in charge of them, as well as all the other staff. They will be responsible overall for all the children, all the TAs, all the teachers,and anyone else in the school. They will be answerable to the governors, all the parents and Ofsted in all the schools they strategically lead. I wouldn't have their job for all the tea in China!

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

But you might be able to buy all the tea in China on those wages :D

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

So what do they do then, if the Executive head is running the show?

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Executives soldier on bowed down by the responsibility and accountability, they have to be paid so much because if it all goes wrong they might lose their job, except if it all does go wrong, they will almost definitely not lose their job and will invite others to consider their positions instead.

They are a level of bureaucracy that announces "I have made it! I know how to work the system better than anyone else!".

Flinty and fluffy and pointless all at the same time.

10. lars

lars New commenter

We've got one!!
    He is never at school, always going off to fancy meetings elsewhere. We also have a head, a couple of deputies and about 4 assistant heads. So do the other 3 schools he manages, although they are considerably smaller than us.

When the job was advertised it was a big 6 figure salary plus benefits!

rachelpaula008 and delnon like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's an outrageous sum of money. I know that school. The ad says "We are Britain's first federated school where Boys, Girls and Sixth Formers are taught separately on the same site" and that gives the game away - it's one school in reality! It's managed to split what's effectively a 'standard' mixed secondary (with 6th Form) into two separate schools by putting the boys in one part of the site and girls in another and getting DfE to register it as two schools. Then it can call itself a Federation. Everyone else in that LA (including parents) regards it as a single school for practical purposes. It's not significantly bigger than the other secondary schools in the LA.

As it's an LA school (Catholic VA) the head's salary if it were a single school would be subject to the STPCD maximum. Being a Federation means you can create an Executive Head job that isn't subject to STPCD leadership pay scales and so pay above the STPCD maximum. Handy huh?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    delnon and cissy3 like this.
  12. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We have one, responsible for our primary and a nearby one.

He works hard, stays out of the classroom and lets us get on with our jobs, gives useful and supportive feedback after observations, filters poop from above, deals with situations effectively, always backs us against parents (giving us a private bollocking later, if necessary) - we love him! :)

Camokidmommy likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've worked for one - 3 separate schools (infant/nursery, junior & secondary) on the same campus merged into an 'all-through academy'. Secondary head became executive principal of whole shebang. No longer there - removed by academy chain, to which we sold our soul, when things turned sour.

14. pixiepretty

pixiepretty New commenter

Can also be a role used in authorities with lots of small village schools to try and balance small school budgets by sharing a headteacher. Some school may only have 30 or 40 pupils but to close would decimate the village. The executive head role in this situation can be a real positive for sustainability.

delnon likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I worked in a school once where when we were in Special Measures the Head was an Executive Headteacher. When we came out he was just a Headteacher.

Just another poncy label that secretly screams ''I'm over promoted and insecure!''

delnon likes this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have worked for 2 executive heads and I tried really always to face them as I felt there was a target on my back.

delnon and rachelpaula008 like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I have warmed to the term "principal" over recent months. The use of the term headteacher imbues the job with an unwarranted merit and nobility - such as it is carried out by an increasing number of people who don't deserve the word "teacher" in their title.

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

ours is head of 3 schools, with asst heads in two and a deputy in the other.

20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Executive Headteacher. Gravy train post for winding up subservient head teachers in several schools.

business-commerce-whipping_boy-scapegoat-scapegoating-workplace-jobs-pton412_low.jpg