1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exclusive: new analysis reveals training bursaries are failing to tackle teacher recruitment crisis

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 19, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd say it was this: "Teaching recruitment expert Professor John Howson said: “That doesn’t surprise me. The problem is, if you’re a good mathematician or physicist, the world is your oyster and you can get a starting salary over £30,000 within a year after university.”

wanet likes this.
  3. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

with half the stress!

wanet likes this.
  4. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

"But we are determined to continue raising the status of the profession" -lesson inspections and a guessing game over pay certainly do not achieve that. It would be lovely to go into their ministry offices and inspect what they do all day! For every actual full time classroom teacher I wonder how many people (probably all better paid) are employed in school and elsewhere to monitor and tell them what to do and not do? (Sorry having a bit of a Monday is nearly here moment)

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I also heard the moneyball line. If you are aware that Mr Jones next door, despite doing exactly the same work as you, is paid a lot more than you, how does that affect your motivation to work for 'the team'?
    By taking the £30k and spreading it out a bit this gets everyone pulling their weight instead of thinking, that is the last time I give an ounce of goodwill to 'the team'.
    Besides, isn't it once again females being disproportionately discriminated against here? Which of the genders is hoovering up these £30k bursaries more than the other?

6. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

Surely the sort of person who is looking to genuinely go into teaching is more than just money motivated. Those who think they would be in it for the long haul would probably go into the profession regardless of the bursary!

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The problem for me is not losing maths and science graduates who would rather go an earn £50000 doing something else, it's losing those people who would be quite happy earning £30000 as a classroom teacher. I am sure that the crazy working conditions in schools, and the public standing of teachers, are forcing out or putting off people who in the past would have become good teachers.

Would you stick it now if you were a fresh teacher starting on low pay, being worked to death, having to come in during your holidays, working in the evening, the threat of capability, the misplaced focus on poorly-understood data, constant observations etc?

Money isn't the issue. It's a pretty well paid job. It's the job itself and the conditions.

Compassman likes this.
  8. Middlemarch

This is absolutely the point!

I've said a fair few times recently that I would not, knowing what I know it's like now, go into teaching - and teaching was all I ever wanted to do when I was young.

My Mum said recently that she thinks my 10 year old niece would make a good teacher (this is based largely on the fact that niece is a bit bossy, I should add). I responded "She'll go into teaching over my dead body."

Scintillant, RedQuilt and Compassman like this.
  9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

But isn't it sad that someone like yourself who was in education for many years feels like that?

I suspect that maybe 10 years ago you wouldn't have felt like that? What a mess.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. Middlemarch

I think it's terribly sad, yes. And ten years ago - I was just clinging on to it being a job that I could recommend to youngsters. That house of cards entirely collapsed when Gove arrived on the scene.

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I've been recommending, like many others, people to go into teaching for a long time. If you consider that this life long 'recommendation' is ceasing then are we not building up a problem for the future as the teachers of ten years' time are heavily put off and thus the teacher shortage becomes even worse?

I still say this: I visit a lot of schools and some schools are fantastic places to work and some schools are like the hell of Gradgrind supervised by a board called Gove, Grayling and Smith. Like our dear esteemed Wilshaw I maintain that if some schools can deliver [being a nice place to work] then why can't other schools do so also? All schools can be above average places to work.

If you asked me whether the oppressive schools that are not pleasant places to work are academies or not then I couldn't possibly comment.