1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exclusive: Academy chains forced to cut teachers and the curriculum

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 5, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They were inevitable. I'm only surprised it's taken the present government so long to do it. I was appointed to my first headship back in the days of the Major government. The years of appalling funding were brutally evident in the state of the school and how poorly it was resourced - but the shock I got when by first budget forecast for the following year arrived was memorable in its full horror.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why worry, I'm sure the SMT salaries and the money creamed off the top by the sponsors will be safe.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I still remember counting out sheets of paper to see if i had enough for the class!
    The difference between then and now, though, is that no one lost their job if exam results didn't improve each year, and adding a couple of pupils to each class wasn't the straw that broke the teachers' backs.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Well we all know how this will pan out - teachers left will have to teach 2 or more subjects out of their training. We are of course all teachers!!
    Even more reason for more teachers to leave.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Planned by the Government. No surprise there.

7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The toy is being thrown out of the pram.

Attention spans are short in arrogant governments, who feel no one is going to hold them to account.

images-6.jpg

Perhaps were talking about a different 5 years?

minnie me likes this.
  8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I suspect that this lack of funding will be allowed to really bed down for a couple of years. Then a brand new initiative will be announced (full privatisation of the state system with all schools being made fully profit making affairs?). Funding from government will then also rise, and the resulting uptick in performance will prove that it's the right way to go!

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

What surprises me is the double speak of all governments Major, Brown,Blair and now Cameron....all who promise expansion and change and do little that helps.If we ran business like this the country would be broke.
    I have lived through many of those years and found myself forced into funding materials, books and other products to make sure the curriculum could be delivered in school...and i was only a classroom teacher.

10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

My views are that the funding model is designed to deliver profits in the form of inflated salaries at the top of the chain. This is an unnecessary continuation of top slicing. Once a school is good or outstanding, the relationship between head office and the school could be severed, financial top slicing could be removed and the money returned to the headteacher to buy in services provided by the chain from either them or elsewhere should s/he choose to do so. This would free up money to plug the gaps being faced by schools. The terms of reference for a successfully academy chain should be to make themselves redundant. They are a charity and should not be incentivised to grow or try to continue to force schools to pay inflated money for contracted work agreements they have locked their schools into.
    In short, by removing schools from the chain and giving them the choice to buy in from any chain or LA their services we could make the system cheaper by forcing academy head offices to compete against each other and LAs. This would result in suppression of costs and deliver savings to the sector which are not going to come at the cost of reduced teachers, curriculum or materials.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The government won't tolerate any return to the LA, even if it is one driven by market forces.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

My memory of the 00s is rather different. My salary rose enormously, teaching was receiving a lot of positive press, our school building was finally rebuilt, I had new computers, IWB and software to go with it, and could order resources if I needed them.

I'm not particularly a Blair supporter, nor was everything perfect, but the state system certainly had a decent amount of investment and mostly positive reform during those years. It appears that we forget these things quickly.

yasf likes this.
  13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

At an academy chain near me support staff have been slashed (those at head office appear to be increasing) so that teachers will now have to spend more of their time doing their own photocopying, (re) submitting data and waiting for basic information from Head Office.

14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

My perception is taking 'business' precepts unthinkingly is a a cause of the present mis-management. For example, applying the 'profit' motive, competition etc to exams has contributed to their degradation and may other anti -education processes.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I never said schools should revert to LAs. I said, schools should simply be buying services from chains. What does a chain do that couldn't be bought from another provider? If schools headteachers could choose service providers then that provision would be cheaper. One way to incentivise LAs is to allow them to provide services that a chain does. However, to do that, all schools should be free to choose which provider they buy their services from.