1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting Year 3 Literacy Lesson!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smithhannahmegan, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi, I've been asked to teach a 35 minute literacy lesson to a year 3 class for an interview. I've been told the focus can be up to me, but the lesson should aim to improve standards in writing. Any ideas for a one of exciting literacy lesson?! Cheers![​IMG]

2. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

What kind of lesson would you like to teach? Fiction or nonfiction writing? Poetry? Descriptive?
    Have you been told what they've been doing lately, or do you want to do a standalone lesson?It might be a good idea to link the lesson to the things they're studying at present.
    I was recently told about this website which might be of interest. It's really cool, runs through all the genres giving you a structure for each and examples of different levels to show how they work. You could use it to teach the children how to structure whichever bit of writing you decide to do.
    http://www.writingfun.com/
    Good luck!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What ideas do you have? You, after all, are the one the head will expect to have further good ideas if s/he appoints you.
    You'd get good views on your ideas if you posted them up here - but expecting others to sort your lesson for you is selling this headteacher a bit of a lemon.

4. Agree! Sorry, probably NOT what you wanted to hear. Will be happy to feedback AFTER you come up with your idea.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Personally, I wouldn't even post your ideas on here.
    One of the other Heads on this
    Forum recently had 4, FOUR, candidates who used a lesson that they had
    got from here. She recognised it.
    Wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't, because all 4 of them did the same thing, which sort of gave the game away.
    So if you put on here your ideas, someone else might see them and copy them.
    Best to keep them to yourself!
    If you pop over to the JobSeekers Forum, some general advice on interviews can be found in the clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Well done on getting that interview!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

6. What I don't understand is how people come out of university have trained to become a teacher for three or four years and have no clue about what to teach. Of if you have been teaching surely there must be some lessons that can be used for the interview. [​IMG]. Just my thoughts!

7. Or how posters on here can have such bad grammar. :)

8. lol, yes I know my comment sounded a bit harsh! I hope I did not offend anyone. But what are we actually gaining from teacher training when we end up with no idea what to teach?

9. No problem with your opinion, you're spot on. Just your grammar. :)

10. Please let me know how you would change the grammar in my comments. [​IMG]

11. 'Just your grammar.' I would say this is not a sentence but you are suggesting that it is.

12. And you are wholly entitled to your opinion. Comic timing was the intention (long pause, glance over the shoulder), although in fairness it's not very funny and in hindsight perhaps a semi-colon would have created the desired effect. However, my "suggestion" still passes for better English than yours.

13. udyumoren

udyumoren New commenter

I've been asked to teach a year 3 class a 45 minute lesson on the theme 'Pinky and Perky' to start the lesson, for a job interview I applied for. Any idea of a fabulous lesson please???? Cheers.

14. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

See Middlemarch and Theogriff's above comments.

15. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

To be fair, with lessons prepared here, there and everywhere, everyone has come to rely on other people's ideas, even though they may have many good ideas of their own. I recently found out about an interview, I can teach whatever i like and immediately googled outstanding lessons. But then i looked at what was on offer and it didn't suit my teaching style. So I've plumped for looking at their recent ofsted an where there are areas to improve upon and ill plan a whizzy lesson based upon their SIP or ofsted areas for development. I feel much better for having done that now.
    And if I'm still too expensive for them them so be it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. richbreeds

richbreeds New commenter

Definitely get some grammar in there. I think if you can encourage the children to write and focus on what they have used in their own writing it is always good. I've made lots of great resources on progression in writing . Don't try to fit too much in to 35 mins either !

17. rsheahan1

rsheahan1 New commenter

I often get my students to write descriptively by putting a picture up in the board and getting them to write a couple of sentences describing it. They are encouraged to use a range of literary devices, and because they are only writing a couple of sentences, they can often produce high quality work. Just one idea!

18. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

As the original post was made in 2011, one assumes that the interview has now taken place. :D