1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting ways to use your ta in lesson input etc

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by julia pearl, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Ask them A) what they enjoy most about their role, B) what they see as their strengths in the classroom re curriculum, C)
    whether they are prepared to do more exciting activities D) what they might suggest in your teaching and learning BECAUSE if they aren't prepared for some change you will hitting your head against a brick wall. You might want excitement, they may not. Ensure you all want the same thing first and foremost.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

That takes some courage when TAs are supposed to be working at teachers' direction.
    Can someone tell me whether OFSTED would see TAs doing stuff like marking homework during lesson time as acceptable?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No they wouldn't

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think it very much depends on yourTAs qualifications, experience and ability what they do. We don't have TAs we have NNs who are very experienced and extremely able, so we don't use them, instead we work together as a team.

5. I agree with Msz, T/A or NN are trained, frequently very talented and seldom fools.....ask them!

6. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

My TA supports the children by sitting in amongst them or bythe side of them whilst they may be writing on their whiteboards (she help the children who need it)
    She may jot down the children's ideas and answers,questions in a discussion time,thes would be used to plan from or put on a working wall.
    She may model something with me eg we have been known to hold telephone conversations for vets,police,emergency situations,ordering pizza or food etc.Also done drama kind of situations for role play
    She is as a wonderful partner .

7. Very similar to fulloffun. My NN is extremely able (reception) and works alongside the children who need her This often changes day to day but she instincively knows where to go and it is very rare for me to change this unless I had something special in mind.
    We also do little role play situations that often leads to a melt down of laughter! The children see her as their teacher, as do I! Occasionally I ask her if she would like to try something different and respect her decision. We instinctively have the same thoughts and I couldn't do the job properly without her!
    She regularly makes obs and comments whilst i do whole class teaching and then brings these up for discussion. She wouldn't dream of going off to do a display or marking of any kind and I would not ask her to. I do realise how lucky I am.