1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting ways to teach children how to look up the Bible?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by mmccallum, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to jazz up a lesson on how to read/look up the Bible? I'm in a P7 class, age 11. I've got a lesson planned out but thinking that it won't exactly be exciting!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

2. Could you book out the school library or an ICT area and have the kids compare looking up info in the bible Bible to using a library, phone book, encyclopedia, agony aunt column, google etc ?

Also, a plenary I tried when doing this that worked quite well was a beat the teacher activity - I picked one student who already knew the Bible quite well to choose a Bible passage and then the rest of the students had to try to find it before I did - those that did won a little prize.

3. Thanks so much for your suggestion!

I really like the idea, most of them will already know how to look up info in all of the other things you suggested so definitely will be good to relate it to that.

Thanks again

4. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

I'm pretty sure I have a ppt task somewhere which takes students through the Bible finding ingredients to make a cake eg, dates, honey etc. If you send me your email in a pm I can try and route it out for you?
    WM

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I was going to say the same as Weebleme. It's called Scripture Cake and we are going to make it with our Y7s after they spend a lesson finding the ingredients.

6. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

Oh that sounds much more exciting! We just find the ingredients...

7. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I created a cross-word puzzle with references as the clues. It may take some finding - and is from pre-computer days so hand-drawn I think - but while not greatly 'exciting' it is a good introduction. Also it gave me the opportunity to choose items which I felt were interesting, important or relevant to their own experience.

I think the questions included something like this one -

'What name did God call himself by when Moses asked Him - in the book of Exodus ref ....' for example.