1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting way to start a dinosaur topic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fahrsx, Mar 26, 2012.

1. I've done this topic twice. The first time I wrote the class a letter from a scientist in London asking them to search their school garden for clues to their next topic which he needed help researching and sending all the information they found out back to him. The second time was similar but I asked one of the office staff to come to the classroom to collect a package and letter which had arrived. Both times the children found lots of bones and teeth/received a box full of bones. They loved it and we're very excited to find out lots about their new topic. :)

2. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

Large papier mache 'egg' delivered by the postman to the classroom which needs looking after. Children care for it, and it hatches into a baby 'dinosaur'. My class loved it!

3. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

Brilliant, my mind's started working again now thanks to these ideas! Thanks very much. I really like the 'hatching egg' idea - I think they'd love this.

4. Massive dinosaur footprints in the playground? Watch dinosuars disney video and after ask kids what they want to find out about?

5. Hello, I went to a school on supply and they had a fantastic idea. They were doing a topic on dragons, which could easily be adapted to dinosaurs and is based on the hatching egg idea. They received an egg from a professor in London, who had wrote a note asking them to care for the egg. This lead to them researching and building nests, and closely observing the egg for signs of hatching, keeping it warm etc. They had to research what the dragons ate too, and have it ready incase it did hatch. Unfortunately, the caretaker left the classroom door open one weekend and the dragon hatched had escaped - but it was all caught by the security cameras! This lead for further imaginative writing etc, and a big dragon hunt that the entire school became involved with. I found the whole topic very inspirational and would love to have the opportunity to do it with a class of my own! Hope this helps anyway.

6. Not a way to kick off your topic - but I could send you a Dinosaur Board Game that can be used with cards for spelling, reading, number bonds etc.
    margaret2612@btinternet.com

7. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Lovely idea about the egg. Have you tried your local museum to see if they have an expedition on?

8. You could bury some bones, rabbit or fox if you happen to have one around! Or a complete chicken. Then you could be archeologists and uncover the buried bones?