1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting teaching ideas please

Discussion in 'English' started by Honeydew, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

I am teaching my yr 7s non-fiction around the theme of 'Animals'. Does anyone have any exciting activities that have worked well with their groups? Something fun - e.g. I am planning on getťing them to do a group task where they research and then argue their animal is the deadliest/cleverest/most useful to humans/best pet (I haven't decided which one to pick). My brain is frazzled! They'll be doing reading and writing and so the more ideas the better.

I would really appreciate your ideas and feedback. I really want them to have fun with this unit.

Thanks

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Just completed a module on designing an animal charity (writing to persuade). They had to make logos, leaflets and do a group presentation (S/L) at the end.
    They loved it.

pepper5 and hhhh like this.
  3. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

That's a great idea gruoch! Thank you :)

4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Have a look online. there's come great stuff for ideas.

5. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hi hhhh,

I have been trawling the internet but no joy :-( . Could you recommend a website/link?

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Have you got a local zoo?

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Yes! We're hoping to take them there - ties in nicely with this unit.

8. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Try Phil Beadle's 'Dancing About Architecture' and 'How To Teach'.

9. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

You could look at endangered species such as the pangolin. Ask chn to do their own research (as you've already alluded to).
    Run a class debate presenting evidence for and against saving specific creatures, chn could take the role of experts and you could run hot-seating interviews and link to current environmental issues such as the logging of our forests and the impact on our world? Chn could carry out writing outcomes such as discursive arguments, explanations etc...I've done similar stuff this year in our Y5 rainforests topic (Brazil).

10. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

Oh, we got zoolab to come in with exotic animals which was awesome. http://www.zoolabuk.com/ the guy was very knowledgeable and we produced some memorable writing experiences from it.

11. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Thanks for the great ideas x