1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting Opportunity in Wisbech

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mothorchid, Jan 29, 2020.

1. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Laphroig likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Locked away... the hopes and dreams of Wisbech... slowly decaying.

Laphroig, Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’d buy a mysterious, inaccessible room for £100, bargain!

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Well, it’s a first.........

..........Exciting and Wisbech in the same sentence

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

6. mothorchid

Years ago, I went to a house where there was a room above the kitchen which had been "forgotten". The family had bought the house without even realising the room was there (not a very good surveyor, perhaps?) and the access was via a staircase by the back door, which had been bricked up. When they made their way into it, the room was empty and there were some curtains at the window, so no-one could have looked in from outside. It was a mystery. But it made a lovely study.
    I have always had a sort of hankering for something like that. But not, I think, in Wisbech.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My brother bought a butcher's shop in Cornwall, not far from Land's End. Above, next to and behind the shop, there was living accommodation. My parents moved down their too a year later and bought a cottage just over the road. One day my mum stood outside and thought there was something odd about the building. It had four bedrooms upstairs and the windows in the end bedroom were a couple of feet from the wall nearest the end, but from outside they looked like they were eight feet away from the end wall.

The building was several hundred years old and had likely been repurposed a number of times during its history and it was a bit spooky what was going on with its layout. My mum was desperate to find out, but my brother wasn't bothered. I don't know why. Maybe he was concerned that if a dead body had been found bricked up behind the wall, it would force him to stop trading for a while. I have no idea.

But as the word spread round the village, people thought it probably had something to do with smuggling. Sadly my brother died shortly after, as had my dad, so neither my brother's wife nor my mum were in a position to knock the wall down to resolve the mystery. Who knows what lies beyond that wall? Maybe there's a chest of Spanish dubloons that fell off the back of a ship? Are there any gamblers among you with enough money who's risk buying the property in case there's treasure beyond your wildest dreams within?

Bedlam3 likes this.
  8. mothorchid

I so want this to be a true story @Duke of York, but I am a cynic. Please reassure me...

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Surprised he's let this pass for this long without comment.

chelsea2 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I couldn't possibly comment.

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

oh, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to disappoint us;)

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Probably full of zombies..

"smacks wrist"

mothorchid likes this.
  13. mothorchid

Or maybe, Wisbech people? Is that the same thing?

Bedlam3 likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's perfectly true. I would have forgotten about it but for your story. It was a tragic few years for my family. First my dad died of cancer having enjoyed just one year of retirement. Then a supermarket opened up a mile down the road, putting my brother out of business. A couple of years later my brother had a massive heart attack and died, then my mother got cancer and died. It put me off Cornwall forever after that.

Interestingly and topically, this story appeared in today's news.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51310566

"A town centre property is going under the hammer for what might seem like the bargain price of £100 - but the only problem is you cannot get into it.

The 12sq m river-view first-floor room, wedged between two properties and suspended over an alleyway is for sale in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

However, it is blocked off from both sides and even the auctioneer has not been in, as the Cambs Times reported.

It is "one of the weirdest" things the auctioneers have seen, they said.

The unusual property is in a terrace of old buildings, believed to have been built as granaries or shops in the 16th Century on Nene Quay in the market town.

It has been owned by the council since 1966, but it has no record of it ever having been used.

Described as "a flying freehold which extends over part of a vehicular access passageway and comprising a single, currently inaccessible, room, measuring approximately 12sq m", it will be auctioned on 20 February with a guide price of £100."

mothorchid likes this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I kind of want to buy it, now. I can afford a hundred quid!

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

May I just ask? Is Wisbech real or is it a construct like Narnia or Camelot or a mythical town meant to represent an average burgh? It doesn't sound very convincing. Is it a hoax?

primarycat likes this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Here's the city of Wisbech.

Wisbech has a castle so it has city status.

18. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Wisbech is apparently known as "the capital of the Fens". However it is not a city. It was, until recently, a cathedral that was required for city status, not a castle. In recent years various towns have become cities for reasons I don't understand but they do not include Wisbech.

19. mothorchid

Wisbech HAD a castle. Now it has a sort of round road called, I think, Castle Street, which is actually rather attractive with Georgian houses. I assume it's along the route of the bailey walls.
    If Wisbech was somewhere else, it would be a lovely place to live, with the river and the Georgian buildings etc. But it's in an economically depressed area, with a high level of young single migrant workers on low paid jobs and little or no industry. I like the fen landscape myself, but I am the first to admit that the Fens are not an obvious area of outstanding beauty. If you live in Wisbech, Peterborough is the height of urban sophistication. That tells you everything you need to know.

20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

plus everyone there has webbed feet!

peakster likes this.